Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello everyone! Hot in Fort Lauderdale Florida today! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-everyone-hot-fort-lauderdale-florida-today-t1723.html)

AlleyFlosQuilts 08-05-2007 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. I've been sewing all my life, well since I can remember. I used to sew those punchcards with yarn at about age 3-4. My grandfather sold Singer sewing machines after world war two, so between me, my mother and grandmother we've got about 10 antique sewing machines that all still work. I've just started quilting about 4 years ago after hurricane Francis destroyed my parents home in Sebastian Florida. I had five huge garbage bags full of wet, soggy, mildew, antique family linens and quilts that I rescued from the bulldozer and my parents destroyed home. This started my obsession with accurately restoring, studying and repairing antique quilts. I bought and borrowed all of B Brackmans books and every fabric guide I could find so that I could selvage these family heirlooms. I even flew to Vermont for their quilting expo and asked averyone questions and took classes. This was then parlayed into a business of restoration and appraisals for others then selling antique quilts on Ebay. Well thats me and how I was blessed with the ability to quilt.

SandraJennings 08-05-2007 10:57 AM

Wow! talk about jumping right in there! You go girl!. glad you found us. Hope things work out well for you. feel free to post picutres or pass on any knowledge you have...We are all eager learners and just love to see what's new.
Hope you were able to save some of those machines. What a history and heritage. Welcome! :D

lin 08-05-2007 11:12 AM

Welcome AlleyFlos. :)
I'm sorry it took such a tragedy to bring you and quilting together, but I'm so proud of you for taking a sad time and turning it into not only a learning experience, but a valuable business as well. I'm sure most of us here could benefit from all you've learned.

amma 08-06-2007 12:47 PM

Hi, so glad that you joined us. So sorry to hear about your tragedy, but what a way of turning it around! I will look forward to hearing more from you!

AlleyFlosQuilts 08-06-2007 12:58 PM

What a warm welcome. Everything works out for the best. They have a new and better home with all new furniture. I have all the sewing machines except two. The 401 is at grandmas and the black featherweight is at moms new house. I've now have the treadle, white featherweight, centenial featherweight, 301, 27, and 601 here at my house now. I piece on the featherweights and sometimes machine quilt on the treadle and 301. I'm not a very good machine quilter I have much better hand quilting abilities.

Elizabeth A. 06-15-2008 09:50 AM

Oh I know all about Hurricane Frances and Jeannie too, wasn't that a nasty year? Let's hope this year isn't so nasty.

Glad to see you here, this is a great place. So make yourself a cup of tea, coffee, water, lemonaide, really whatever you prefer and settle in for nice visits and wonderful people.

susiequilt 06-15-2008 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
Oh I know all about Hurricane Frances and Jeannie too, wasn't that a nasty year? Let's hope this year isn't so nasty.

Glad to see you here, this is a great place. So make yourself a cup of tea, coffee, water, lemonaide, really whatever you prefer and settle in for nice visits and wonderful people.

Yes, that was a nasty year! I'm right above Sebastian.

Up North 06-15-2008 03:03 PM

WELCOME TO THE BOARD FROM NORTHERN MICHIGAN! With all the floods going on right now your tips would be very helpful!

Elizabeth A. 06-15-2008 04:13 PM

Let's see, bleach or vinegar as needed. DON'T put off taking care of ANYTHING. Seriously, if it's raining in - clean it up, tarp it over, whatever. The sooner anything that is wet is made dry (even if it means cutting out the floor!) the less will be ruined. The extensive dampness can ruin stuff just as fast as actual water. I'll send you dry thoughts just as soon as the storm that's followed me around since Thursday goes away! :)

Marcia 06-16-2008 06:17 AM

Welcome!! I love your story and am so glad you made lemonade out of your lemons. Please post pictures of some of your family quilts.