Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from the great state of Nebraska!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-great-state-nebraska-t27001.html)

fatnsassy 10-13-2009 03:59 PM

I am a very new quilter, but I am hooked. I just finished piecing my first lap quilt, but haven't got it quilted yet. I am wanting to finish it so bad, but being unemployed, finances are tight and I can't afford to get the batting and backing material. Any suggestions on how get very inexpensive fabrics?

I absolutely loved sewing the pieces together. It scares me a little to try the free motion quilting, but I will after this quilt, for I will stitch in the ditch on this one.

I have really been enjoying all of the great posts on this site and I'm so impressed on the talent of you great quilters.

MadQuilter 10-13-2009 04:32 PM

Hi sassy,

greetings from the north central valley of CA.

I usually get the backing material from the sales rack or when I have a coupon. There are some threads on the QB about inexpensive backing fabric. Some quilters like to use flat sheets (I am not one of them). As far as batting.....use a coupon at the fabric store. Some quilters have discussed using old blankets as fillers. (I would not try that for my first free-motion quilt)

Have fun.....and if you can't finish this one, get scrap happy on another top. Then you'll be a quilter with a UFO.

Shemjo 10-13-2009 04:56 PM

Hello, and welcome from Missouri!

Thrift stores are good places to look for fabric. And ask! It is amazing what people have and they are looking for good homes. Do you have Free Cycle or ReUseIt in your area? Ask!

amma 10-13-2009 05:06 PM

Hello and Welcome :D :D :D
50% off coupons at JoAnn's sure can help...Walmart if your's still has fabric as well as the other suggestions, too :wink:

Jim's Gem 10-13-2009 05:10 PM

Welcome from Southern California

Ybridgegal 10-13-2009 05:34 PM

Welcome fatnsassy from Ohio :) :D

quilter girl 10-13-2009 06:04 PM

Hi from another Nebraskan :lol: :lol: What weather were having. :!: :!: Try garage sales, and the Good Will - never know what people will discard.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-13-2009 06:05 PM

Hello from Illinois. We have many family members in NE and are looking to head that way ourselves in the near future. Maybe we will be neighbors!

Go Huskers!

:)

Teacup 10-13-2009 06:58 PM

Welcome! For bargains, in addition to thrift stores, look at garage sales, estate sales or auctions for things being sold from sewers. You'll have to learn to judge by feel what is 100% cotton as you usually won't have fabric labels but sometimes you can score some really good finds. I recently found 3 yards backing fabric about 90 inches wide in an antique/craft mall where people have booths. I paid only $3. Don't overlook CraigsList or freecyle online, as mentioned above. It is not as active here in my rural area, but in larger towns there are often great deals!

sharon b 10-13-2009 07:02 PM

Hi and Welcome from Northern Indiana ! I have no other suggestions other than the great ones you have already received :lol: