Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello to the Group (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-group-t37954.html)

Rexene 02-25-2010 02:36 PM

Hi, my name is Rexene and I joined the site a couple of weeks ago and am just getting around to introducing myself.

I live in Richland, MI on 13 acres with my husband, Phil. We have two grown children, Colin and Corryn. Growing up, our kids represented every animal barn, except for goats, at the local county fair through 4-H. We are now down to two horses, one cat and one dog.

Since I found this site, I have already learned many things and discovered several beautiful quilts I want to make. Since none of my friends quilt, it is very interesting and enjoyable to hear what all of you are doing and the challenges you come up against. There are many very talented quilters participating!

My first quilting experience was about 30 years ago, when I took a class and made a sampler quilt top all by hand, including all of the borders. Moving ahead many years; when I found out I was losing my job/retiring in 2008, I started taking machine quilting classes. During the first class I made two log cabin quilt tops. I took several other classes and made three or four more quilt tops. None of these are quilted, except for one log cabin, which I had quilted and gave to my daughter for Christmas, 2008. Currently I am making a log cabin quilt in light blue and aqua for my son.

My retirement gift to myself was an HQ16 long arm quilting machine. This was set up and a demo given in August 2008. I did some practicing for about a week. The following week I had surgery for cancer and went through chemo and radiation treatments. I still haven't done any actual quilting on quilt tops because I'm afraid I'm going to make a big mess and ruin the tops. Any suggestions on how to get started on actually quilting a project?

Jim's Gem 02-25-2010 02:41 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California.
I can't help you with starting on a mid/long arm, I am still dreaming about owning one someday.
I suggest practicing on some scrap first, you don't want to have to unstitch!!

MamaBear61 02-25-2010 02:47 PM

Hello and welcome from Ontario. I am envious of your machine but as Gayle said make yourself some practice quilt sandwichs and just jump in. We have all had our issues with quilting but improvement only comes with patience and practise

mosquitosewgirl 02-25-2010 03:25 PM

Practice, practice, practice....before long you'll be a pro!

littlehud 02-25-2010 04:22 PM

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here.

redquilter 02-25-2010 04:28 PM

No sugesstions but a warm welcome from NY. Hope you are back to good health to stay!

Rexene 02-25-2010 04:44 PM

I see my oncologist every three months and so far, so good!

nanamo 02-25-2010 05:26 PM

For give me for any mistakes im new from zrizona.

nanamo 02-25-2010 05:27 PM

oh for petes sake it arizona

Oklahoma Suzie 02-26-2010 03:01 AM

Hi and welcome from Oklahoma.