Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from Houston! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-houston-t249798.html)

quilt938 07-09-2014 09:45 AM

Hello from Houston!

I found this forum while looking for information on vintage Singers! I've been quilting since 2001 - I tried a few classes a few years earlier but didn't really get into it until 2001. I always wanted to sew but the chance to learn never came up and I wasn't the brave sort to venture out on my own!

I love simple quilts (actually love some of the more complicted ones- just don't love doing them!) I like piecing and am happy with rail fences, 9 patches, and quick patterns. I did a bunch of swaps on another forum about 10 yrs ago but they went the way of more complicated so I haven't done as many. I ventured into that section here and see several I'd like to do - just have to see about the time.

I just brought down furniture and sewing machines/accessories from my parents' (they passed in 2011) so I'm currently fixing up my townhome so I can use the back section for quilting and sewing machine 'display' :ospace is becoming a premium!

I'm enjoying reading through the different forums and hope to get to know some of y'all better.

Nammie to 7 07-09-2014 09:52 AM

Welcome from South Dakota. This is a great place to learn about quilting. I haven't taken the plunge into fixing up vintage machines yet, even though I have 4 (inherited from family). I think there is a lot of knowledge to pick up from this forum. If you haven't already attended the Houston Quilt Festival make sure it is on your bucket list!

cashs_mom 07-09-2014 09:53 AM

Welcome from a fellow Houstonian! This is a great place. Lots of good information and inspiration!

Tartan 07-09-2014 09:54 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

quilt938 07-09-2014 10:49 AM

I love qult festival - a few of years I've missed because of work or family crisis but I've usually made it at least one day - last year all but Saturday (and that was by choice - was wiped out LOL!) dangerous place for sure -too much temptation! There's also a smaller quilt show around mid-September in Stafford (sw area near Houston) and that's a good one though small. I just put in vacation for that one :-)

Neesie 07-09-2014 12:09 PM

Howdy and welcome, from another Texan! :-)

Doggramma 07-09-2014 12:51 PM

Welcome from Wisconsin. I know what you mean about the simple/complicated thing. I'm tending more to "modern" these days because I hate borders!

quilt938 07-09-2014 02:17 PM

Hi Neesie what a cute doggy! a friend has a weiner dog that color named Buddy - her hubby calls him their 'low rider rottweiler'! he's a ham and a half..

quilt938 07-09-2014 02:19 PM

I get bogged down on borders but thinking of doing Round Robin again year after next.sigh..love the finished qult but borders stump me LOL! I just love something simple that looks good. would like to do a double wedding ring and might attempt it again with paper piecing but the last attempt wasnt' successful...nightmare is more like it! give me a nine patch/rail fence or double irish chain any day- even on point - beats something tedious!

QuiltnNan 07-09-2014 02:54 PM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)