Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from Illinois (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-illinois-t204969.html)

moppetsragmop 11-03-2012 07:42 AM

Hello from Illinois

found your site while searching for crazy quilts on Google. I have been quilting for around 30 yrs. I live in a small rural town (200 people) and getting supplies sometimes can be a challenge. I live with my 5 parrots and 1 tom cat. I favor applique over everything as I love having something to do with my hands while I watch tv or listening to a audio book. I am attempting to start a crazy quilt as my friend wants couple of lap quilts done from her grandmothers clothing that I am adding extra fabrics of different sorts to them. I am having a hard time locating the little charms that you can put on them. I am doing these by hand (she know it will not be bam and done.) and doing all the embellishments at the same time and then sewing them together. And it will be tacked with small stitches and tied in the back . she has also sent the batting for them as she wants that to be in it. which means it is going to be a very heavy lap quilt. any help would be gladly appreciated.

Becca

DogHouseMom 11-03-2012 08:33 AM

Hello Becca - from another Illinoisan. I've been all over rural Illinois but I must confess to never having heard of Bone Gap - so indeed I had to look it up!!! Of course, few people who live within 50 miles of me have not heard of my town either.

Lots of great people here on the board!!!

As for the charms for the crazy quilt ... I know I've seen vendors sell them at quilt shows. I know I saw one in Paducah when I was there a few years ago, and at a show in Decatur - both probably equal distance from you. I haven't been to the show in Arthur yet but they might have a vendor there as well. I'm sure there are online shops as well - but I can't think of any.

barny 11-03-2012 08:38 AM

Hello from Dallas tx. I know where Bone Gap is. I'm a re-located Hoosier for the last50 yrs. But I still love the change of seasons in southern Ill. The trees are so beautiful in October. Have a good time on here.

crafty pat 11-03-2012 08:42 AM

Welcome from SC Texas. So happy you found us. I find a lot of char packs on Keepsake Quilting and Hancock's of Paducah. You could also try Connecting Threads. Happy quilting.

barny 11-03-2012 08:56 AM

Becca, I just found out my husband used to catch a ferry in a model T and go with his parents to Bone Gap. Had relatives there. How about that! What a small world. Albion, Mt Carmel Carmi.

Tartan 11-03-2012 10:24 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Crazy quilts take a lot of work but they are great for hand or machine embroidery. I have used pretty buttons and ribbons on crazy blocks as well. You might have some luck looking on the sewing aisle at Walmart or in the hair/jewelry aisle at a Dollar store if you have those stores close by. If not, try looking at the second hand stores in their button /jewelry bins for some small charms.

Jammin' Jane 11-03-2012 10:54 AM

Hello Becca!
Welcome from Minnesota! :)
Sounds like you are making a gorgeous quilt! Please show us!!!

gollytwo 11-03-2012 11:11 AM

Greetings from New Hampshire and welcome

QuiltnNan 11-03-2012 11:12 AM

Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting :)

Janet L52 11-03-2012 02:31 PM

Hi Becca, welcome from northern California!