Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from Illinois! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-illinois-t302315.html)

dieldoffaisies 01-16-2019 12:35 PM

Hello from Illinois!

Hi, everyone! My name is Allison. I'm currently in Northern IL, but I have lived in several states throughout my life. I'm 24 and a mom of 5. I have a 3 year old daughter, 5 month old son, a turtle I've had for almost 18 years, and 2 sassy little cats.

I don't have a ton of experience quilting, but I do sew in my free time. My mom and I took a few lessons, but other than that I really have not done anything quilty... When my mom passed away, her sewing machine became mine. After sitting in its bag in my closet too long, I decided to take it out and try some easy projects. Lately I've been making reusable cloth things. (Like "unpaper" towels, feminine care products, makeup wipes, etc.) I like the idea of being nicer to the planet while also having fun!

I decided I wanted to make the kids their own quilts, so I searched for patterns and found a couple I really like. My search even helped me find an awesome Harry Potter quilt along! I think I'm getting a little too adventurous trying to start 3 quilts at the same time, but I am having a lot of fun picking out fabrics. My daughter is also enjoying "helping" me sew. I think this will be a great addition to our list of hobbies.

QuiltnNan 01-16-2019 02:55 PM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

Tartan 01-16-2019 03:00 PM

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

osewme 01-16-2019 03:12 PM

Welcome from Texas. It sounds like you are off to a good start. If you have any questions, this is the place to ask. There is always someone with an answer & people are ready & willing to help you. This board is awesome but I have to warn you....it can be as addicting as quilting itself.:)

SusieQOH 01-16-2019 06:26 PM

Welcome, Allison! When I read you were 24 and a Mom of 5 I did a double take! :D

SillySusan 01-16-2019 07:01 PM

Hi and welcome from North Carolina!

Quilting is great fun, but be careful not to start off with 3 quilts at a time! When I started quilting a zillion years ago, I got bogged down on my first one! It took me 2 years to finish it... a simple 4-patch, quilted in the ditch, nothing fancy and filled with all kinds of really visible goofs, but I learned tons. I think if I picked something more complicated, I would never finished that first one. Just relax and enjoy!!

crafty3236 01-16-2019 07:24 PM

I also am in Northern Illinois were close to Wisconsin border an you?

Quiltah Mama 01-17-2019 02:02 AM

Welcome from Maine. While reading your post,I picked up on the wording that your having fun with just shopping for the fabrics, that tells me you'll be quilting up a storm for a long time. LOL. As you can read on this forum, shopping for fabric is an addiction, ask me how I know,and notice that I haven't joined the fabric moratorium challenge.:D This is a great group of people here and we're all willing to help with questions and suggestions. Enjoy the adventure, both your precious children and quilting.

Lori B. 01-17-2019 04:47 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

jetayre 01-17-2019 07:25 AM

Welcome from Vermont.