Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello :-), I'm Mary (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-im-mary-t253085.html)

Macra 09-05-2014 04:12 AM

Hello :-), I'm Mary

Hello :-) I'm Mary.

I've been sewing since I was three years old. I still have the thimble that my Aunt bought for me so that I learned to do it 'properly'. Tiny little thing, I suspect it was really meant for the Christmas dumpling, but it was the only one that fitted me even if it did need paper inside too.
I have a sequence of those little thimbles that neatly stack inside each other until I reached adulthood and now I prefer the Dorcas 7.

From that ramble you'll have guessed that I'm well into middle age, and having done things 'properly' for so long, I'm finding it a delight to see so many innovative techniques, tools, and enthusiasm among needlewomen (and men). The workmanship is just as fine, the skills are every bit as good and the fresh ideas are very welcome.

Quilts were wholecloth or applique medallion ones when I was little, patchwork was over papers. Now anything goes, and it's amazing to see the results. Beautiful work, lovely creations, a pleasure to admire and hear the tales of the creative juices and the trials and tribulations until the final piece is completed.

I don't have friends who quilt, so for me it's a solitary pastime, though I do get through to the Scottish Quilt show in Edinburgh each year. I joined the forum hoping for more inspiration, hopefully conversation and something interesting to read over while I enjoy a cup of coffee, with my sewing on my lap.
I'm female, multi-tasking is the norm; specialization is for insects :)

Mary

Barb in Louisiana 09-05-2014 04:25 AM

Welcome from the USA, down in the Deep Humid South. This board is so much fun, so knowledgeable and so helpful. I really look forward to seeing some of your quilts.

Barb

Lori B. 09-05-2014 04:25 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

Abby'smom 09-05-2014 05:07 AM

:) welcome from se Texas

Mariposa 09-05-2014 05:21 AM

A big hello from Washington state. :)

orangeroom 09-05-2014 05:35 AM

Well Mary, nice to meet you! Welcome from New York state! I'm sure you'll enjoy the QB! Maybe you'll even join the "Live Chat" area once in a while! I have one friend who likes to quilt. We go on shop hops when she's available. When she's not, I drag along one of my children. They like the bonding time alone with mom.

Angel Bear 09-05-2014 05:44 AM

Welcome from OHIO!

Doggramma 09-05-2014 06:00 AM

Welcome from Wisconsin. I started out very traditional, hand piecing and hand quilting. Now I've flipped over to modern! That's the fun of quilting. Enjoy!

Fifee 09-05-2014 07:25 AM

Welcome from Glasgow, yes just up the road from you :) Here in the UK we're very much a minority when it comes to quilting. I dont have friends that quilt either so its nice to be able to come here and read everyones thoughts and see pictures of their work. Enjoy your time here!

Knitette 09-05-2014 07:43 AM

Welcome from dreich Aberdeen. I don't have any quilting friends either - apart from the wonderful friends I've made here - as I only learned to sew after I took early retirement.

I'm not going to Edinburgh this year (just back from Birmingham show :eek:), else I'd have met you for a blether.

This board will be a huge inspiration for you. Happy quilting!