Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from New England (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-new-england-t312203.html)

NewEnglandSewing 08-20-2020 08:15 PM

Hello from New England

My name is Marianne and I'm new to quilting, even though have been sewing for a long time. Still a little lost buying fabric and figuring out my "style"

i finished my first quilt yesterday YAY ME
it's not what some would call good but I love it, warts and all...

SallyS 08-20-2020 08:26 PM

Hi Marianne, and welcome. I'm a California girl but lived in New England for a few years. You'll like this board -- lots of helpful information and friendly quilters. I look forward to my coffee and the QB every morning.

Tartan 08-20-2020 08:34 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Cute masked Mona Lisa!😁

WMUTeach 08-21-2020 03:04 AM

Welcome to the board. You will find lots of help and ideas here. Most of all there are many, many supportive folks here. Take you time as you learn to choose and use fabric. This is a skill that grows with experience, just like everything else in life. Enjoy the ride!

Lori B. 08-21-2020 03:37 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

Iceblossom 08-21-2020 04:53 AM

Welcome! I'm waving from the Left Coast, near Seattle.

We are glad to have you join us here. We love pictures and projects from first quilts to current projects, it can take a bit to figure out how to post them.

We all start somewhere, I had been quilting for a number of years when I was taken by the concept of "planned scrappy" and I definitely have a bit of my own style by now. We all end somewhere too and I am impacted by declining vision and have changed my construction techniques and am having to let go of some of the OCD and picky points and choose projects that aren't so fussy now.

So you've found the right hobby (cutting apart fabric!) and now find your style and have fun with options and techniques. This is a great place with many talented people, so much so I gave up my remaining quilt magazine subscriptions because I get more out of this site :)

juliasb 08-21-2020 05:11 AM

Welcome to the QB Marianne! We have all been where you are and hold onto that first quilt only because it will hold special memories in the not so distant future and you see how you progress. When I first started quilting I bought every fabric I could that was on sale without a clue as to what I would do with them. Now I have a stash that will out live me! I believe I should have been more selective. Maybe a little at least. I also bought a little more than I really needed for stash building and they frequently came in handy as I developed my taste in what I wanted to quilt. And quilt I did! I thought that Quilt in a Day meant just that a Quilt in a Day so I would work day and night to finish a quilt in a single day. Once I slowed down some I did so much better. It takes a while to develop your own taste in what you want to quilt. This belongs totally to you. I would think to start simple and go from there.
This is a place to learn a lot and show off what you have accomplished. We are a very friendly group. Again welcome to the QB. Looking forward to seeing a lot of you here.

granky 08-21-2020 05:34 AM

A warm welcome from Southern Indiana!...and that first quilt will always be a treasure....warts and all.......

leaha 08-21-2020 05:43 AM

a warm welcome from Ky. Ah new England, no place like it in the fall lived there for over 20 years. Happy quilting, you will find lots here to learn from and to share with.

Mkotch 08-21-2020 07:18 AM

Welcome, Marianne in New England from another Marianne in New England (Vermont)! You will find lots of help and too many good ideas here. Enjoy!