Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from NW Ohio! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-nw-ohio-t311996.html)

pharaba 08-01-2020 07:15 AM

Hello from NW Ohio!

Hi! I'm Pharaba from Oregon, Ohio. It's been the steamiest summer I can remember and I have never been more grateful for central air!

I love to make and restore. I am not a great quilter but I enjoy the challenge and am getting better. I have made 8 or 9 rag quilts and 2 pieced, all commissioned by friends. I love making draperies, pillows, bags, and I even made my first dress from a pattern for my 23 y.o. daughter, and she wears it! Lol My favorite part of the process, I think, is scouring thrift stores for stock. Sheets, skirts, mens shirts are the best yardage!

I'm glad to have found this treasure trove! I was researching my current obsession, a 1904 Standard Rotary, and it led me here!

I sew on a Janome Schoolmate, but she bogs down and fusses a bit when I sew heavy leather. When I stumbled onto this lovely treadle on marketplace, i thought it might be the perfect solution and can't wait to get her humming again!

I'm cleaning her and studying parts and functions presently and am looking forward to browsing here as I find my way.

Iceblossom 08-01-2020 07:32 AM

Welcome! I'm here in the Seattle region where most of us don't have central air. Right now is the time when I most regret that... I'm a major thrift store shopper although they've been closed the last few months, they just opened again a couple weeks back and people are in long lines trying to donate stuff.

Today I'm about to go out and pick up a broken vintage sewing machine that I bought just for the foot pedal to put on my reliable old machine -- even though I'm sewing with my modern machine now. What we've found recently is that it isn't a bad thing to have a few extra machines, now we call it being prepared!

I do have to add that my Hubby is from Michigan and I'm obligated to say something about go wolverines. Consider it done and out of the way. I grew up in Alaska, a state with no college rivalries.

osewme 08-01-2020 09:08 AM

Hello & welcome from Texas! So glad you joined this board because new members means new help & ideas. Ask any questions that come to your mind as there is someone ready & willing to try to answer it for you (and the rest of us). Air conditioning is a must here in Texas (if you can afford it). The summers are brutal & the closer you get to the Gulf of Mexico, the more hot & humid it gets here. Our central air needed a major overhaul this past fall & am so thankful that we could afford to get it repaired & back in good condition before this hot summer hit us.

juliasb 08-01-2020 10:00 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. We are glad you have joined the group. It sounds lite this will be a good fit for you. Your vintage machines, your sewing, bag making and quilting are exciting and even garment making Wow! Jump right in and join all the fun! Again welcome to the QB!

SallyS 08-01-2020 11:25 AM

Welcome from a Cleavelander transported to Southern California.

pharaba 08-01-2020 11:52 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Iceblossom We looove Seattle! My hub is from northern Idaho! He doesn't get the rivalry either. As I traveled the US after college, I quickly learned NOT everyone is either a Buckeye or a Wolverine! Lol Tell your hub I'm so sorry for his most unfortunate allegiance!! And Go Bucks!! 🌰❤

I think we (humans) are getting better with our resources 🤷🏼‍♀️ and using already made items, that are living off hope in a thrift store is my most favorite way of sourcing!!

Tartan 08-01-2020 01:35 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada

granky 08-01-2020 03:28 PM

Welcome from Southern Indiana

QuiltnNan 08-01-2020 05:48 PM

Welcome to the QB and happy quilting :)

Grandma’sgirl 08-01-2020 10:41 PM

Welcome, I am new here, as well. I stumbled onto this site when looking for information on vintage machines. There is so much useful information here! I am sure that we will meet again!