Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from Ohio (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-ohio-t195341.html)

kaysue4 07-21-2012 09:37 PM

Hello from Ohio

Hello out there to all of the quilters. I can't wait to learn more from people that have done this for years.
I am working on my first quilt, it is for Civil War re-enacting. I am doing what people call a crazy quilt. I am just working on 4" blocks. I do 2 at a time to make a set of 12, then into a row of 24, of course. Then I have 12 rows already sewn together. I think I am just going to keep working on 12 rows until I get it big enough for my king size bed.
I think I read somewhere that it is around or over 800 squares. I am cutting some of my squares, and buying some.
Otherwise, I am a mom of four grown "boys." I also have 5 grandchildren. So, I try to keep busy. I also have two dogs, and waiting for a puppy to be able to leave her mom. I just had to put down my 14 or 15 year old beagle.
I got into re-enacting 3 years ago and my main goal is to teach people. I re-enact for the South as a poor widowed woman, that had her small, rented, farm burned down by the North. I felt that everyone does the rich person, and I am not wealthy, by far. I fell in love with it. The weekends without electronics, and just talking to people. I stay in a canvas tent, even in 40 F degrees. I put on lots of clothing at night and that is another reason I am making a quilt.
After I learn to do quilting, my mom passed away in November last year, and also my mother-in-law, I want to take my mom's old clothing and make quilts for the grandchildren. I am not sure what size quilts that I am going to do for them yet, or how big the squares.
Ok, so I guess that is about enough, oh also, I have Fibromyelgia, so everything is a challenge for me on a daily basis.
Thanks,
Kimberly Moffitt Adams:)

Lori B. 07-22-2012 03:47 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

susansomethings 07-22-2012 04:05 AM

Hello Kimberly,
Welcome!
I just recently joined here at the "Quilting Board" I have only been quilting a couple years myself. Sounds like you have a fun project going on there, you will have to share with us a pic when you get it completed. Civil war re-enactments have always sounded intresting to me but have never been to one. It's good to have things to keep us busy with our children grown and loved ones gone. Nice to have you here too!
Sincerely, Susan

Abby'smom 07-22-2012 05:53 AM

:) welcome from se TX

HillCountryGal 07-22-2012 06:22 AM

Hi Kimberly!
I love the look of crazy quilts. Be sure to post a picture when you're done.
A weekend without electronics sounds like something all of us could benefit from!!

Neesie 07-22-2012 06:51 AM

Howdy and welcome, from Texas!

Melrose 07-22-2012 07:02 AM

Welcome from Cantonment, Fl

Glad to hear you are doing re-enacting.. that is something I have always thought about. I have been quilting for 3 yrs. love it. Getting ready to help my 13 yr old, Grandson make a quilt for his bed. We are going to use alot of his outgrown clothes, some shirts that I have made thru the years.

I really enjoy this Quilting board, I have received many ideas..
Happy Quilting

Melody Norris ( Melrose)

QuiltnNan 07-22-2012 08:45 AM

Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting :)

Tartan 07-22-2012 09:06 AM

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

Thumbelina 07-22-2012 11:58 AM

Hi and welcome from NE Ohio.