Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello Quilting Board! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-quilting-board-t309807.html)

Gymnast2 02-18-2020 07:25 AM

Hello Quilting Board!

Thank you for accepting me into this forum.

I have got an interest in vintage sewing machines for six years, and I do a few modifications to some of them to make them sew heavier thread and fabrics. Perhaps others may have the same interest. You can get many good vintage domestic machines cheep, and they will not cost you big time like an industrial sewing machine, if you make a serious mistake with them. But a domestic machine will not take heavy work for many hours every day like an industrial machine are designed for.

I use my machines to repair vinyl covers with webbing fabrics for gymnastics. And for a few projects.

Hopefully I meet other people her, that may have an interest and a bit of fun by some tinkering with their vintage sewing machines. And others may have got an interest in expanding, what their machine may be able to do. I noticed many interesting posts about vintage sewing machines in the Quilting Board Forums.

juliasb 02-18-2020 07:45 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! You will find a who group of vintage sewing machine lovers here. I myself dabble with about with vintage machines. I have 6 right now. I just bought one out of retirement a couple days ago and am using it this morning as I work on a quilting project. Jump right in and join the conversations. There are many to choose from. Look forward to seeing a great deal of you here. Again welcome to the QB!

Tartan 02-18-2020 09:08 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. You find a lot of vintage machine enthusiasts on QB.

nativetexan 02-18-2020 09:55 AM

Welcome to you from Texas. you will like it here. Lots of information and sharing here daily. Enjoy.

Iceblossom 02-18-2020 01:23 PM

Hello Gymnast and welcome aboard.

There are many of us who do indeed swear by our vintage machines. I've used a Remington (Japanese metal machine, not a "real" Remington early days sewing machine) that belonged to a friend's grandmother for most of the last 30 years, when my modern machine broke down.

I was given a modern fancy machine and I have to say that I love it too -- but it needs to go to the shop and the price of it's regular tune-up is more than I would typically spend on a machine... but not a machine with a 12" deep throat so it will get fixed.

Lori B. 02-19-2020 04:43 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

granky 02-19-2020 05:13 AM

A warm welcome from Southern Indiana! I love the old machines...they will never go out of style!

leonf 02-19-2020 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Vintage machines got me here too. Lovely beaties. Hi from Kansas.

Thumbelina 02-19-2020 01:31 PM

Welcome to the board from NE Ohio .

Rhonda K 02-19-2020 04:56 PM

Hi & welcome. It sounds like you found a great use for your machines.