Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from South Louisiana (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-south-louisiana-t15364.html)

GailG 01-13-2009 01:23 PM

Well, I'm sure everyone knows WHO I am by now, since I have so many questions and I sometimes seem to talk too much, but today as I was going over the introductions given in the Newsletter (Konstantin's), it dawned on me that I have never done this. Leave it to me to be a**backwards. :oops: I joined sometimes in late spring (I think) and jumped right in. I have learned so much from everyone here.

I was a teacher for 33 years (always in the same parish in Louisiana). My degree is in Home Economics Education, but I have only taught Home Ec. for a few months. In my early years I worked at a vocational school teaching nutrition to a practical nursing class. I then went back to school to certify in elementary education and spent 28 years at the same school until I retired in 1998. (Most of my years were spent as a first grade teacher.) It was in December of my retirement year when I became ill and took sick leave until my retirement date of Feb. 28, 1998. In '98, I overcame cancer and a stroke. Not to forget the broken arm from a klutsy fall on Main Street in September. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That first year of retirement was such a bore. You can only clean house so much and then no more. [And I'm no housekeeper!!] I became interested in quilting when I joined this homemaker's club with members who did some quilting and other types of sewing. I worked with them some and watch a lot of Simply Quilts and other quilting shows on TV. Then came the purchasing of books, books, books. And then fabric, fabric, fabric.

This board has been the best thing that has happened to me. I'm an insomniac, so I watch a lot of TV, read all night sometimes, and get on the computer (of which I am a dunce). Well, I stumbled on this quilting board and the rest is history. I got involved in the UFO Challenge. It resparked my interest in getting back to my quilts that have been started in one way or another. Classes at Hancocks, classes at a LQS in a nearby town. None of these quilts have been finished. All are waiting to be sandwiched, etc. Well, this month I finally finished an 8-yr-old UFO.
I also finished a couch-sized quilt at Christmastime. [It was non-stop quilting until it was done -- 3 weeks]

Everything is on hold now, since I have wedding cakes to make for the 31st of this month and one for the 28th of next month. This week and next week will be devoted to a contract job that I have giving indivualized tests in the public schools. A team of retired teachers go into the schools three times a year to do assessment tests (kindergarten through 3rd grades). Today was our re-training and next week, we do the testing.

This re-introduction to quilting has been a joyride for me. And the great people on the board are almost like family. I find myself thinking about them, praying for those who are sick, etc. As you can see, I talk too much and would do better sitting at my machine gettting some sewing done.

As some of you know, I have said some of this before but now it's all in one place. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mgshaw 01-13-2009 01:30 PM

Well nice to formally meet you!!!!!
I never did the introduction thing either, just jumped in head first and here I are!!!! :lol:

GailG 01-13-2009 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by mgshaw
I never did the introduction thing either, just jumped in head first and here I are!!!! :lol:

Yes, and I have always wondered about that cutie-patutie in your avatar. So precious.

Shemjo 01-13-2009 03:30 PM

Welcome! I "caught up" on a lot of people by reading how people got their screeen names. Really interesting stuff! :P

Another Sharon

mgshaw 01-13-2009 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by GailG

Originally Posted by mgshaw

Yes, and I have always wondered about that cutie-patutie in your avatar. So precious.

Gail, that is my granddaughter. That picture was taken a little over a year ago, she has since turned 3!!!!

Quilt4u 01-14-2009 08:03 AM

Hi and welcome from Mass.

Bevanger 01-14-2009 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello from Washington

GailG 01-14-2009 02:47 PM

Oh, Bev, that is so pretty.

mary quite contrary 01-14-2009 02:56 PM

Welcome from Dallas, Texas.

I have enjoyed our messages and getting to know you.

Moonpi 01-14-2009 04:04 PM

Welcome! Sounds like you're a busy lady!