Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from sunny Florida! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-sunny-florida-t18698.html)

JCL in FL 04-16-2009 04:48 PM

I'm a Floridian also so welcome and I'm a hand quilter also. It may take longer but I enjoy the process. I want to get into some machine quilting but have only done one so far.

marty girl 04-16-2009 05:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome... I oh sooo bad need to finish a quilt for my beother...I only started it 5 years ago. Feel free tp pester, taunt, bribe or whatever might work to get it done!!!!! The feed dogs on my machine don't drop down. I have a plate I can cover them with but I won't be doing anything fancy until I get a machine that regulates the stitches. It's to much puch-pull for me. I have Fibromyalgia and would rather do it by hand till I can let the machine do the hard work. 'Like hand quilting isn't hard work'. :lol: I love the Zen in quilting. I have been meditating for 3 years and love the calmness of both endevors!

If I were to live anywhere else it would be somewhere in the Bule ridge...but I don't do snow! So I guess Gainesville will be home another 40 (yikes!) years.

Sharon M 04-17-2009 12:18 PM

Welcome from central part of Indiana :D :!:
Love love love your rooster, I might mention I love chickens and roosters :lol: your hand quilting is beautiful. What are you doing reading this post you are suppose to be working on your brothers quilt! Get a move on it girl :!:

Mplsgirl 04-17-2009 01:20 PM

Welcome from Roscoe, Illinois. Your rooster is wonderful!

littlehud 04-18-2009 08:57 PM

Welcome from SW Iowa. My hat goes off to you. I couldn't begin to hand quilt.

Pam Pollock 04-18-2009 09:01 PM

Welcome from Oregon. Your chicken in your quilt is beautiful. Your hand quilting is amazing. You must have a lot of patience to do that.

marty girl 04-19-2009 01:13 PM

Hi Sharon,
I just finished the last plantinging the garden so now I can sit back quilt and watch them both grow.

I had a plan when I started quilting the Rooster quilt for my grand nephew. It started with celtic spirals in the center and it sort of evolved into echo (sp) quilting...by the time I got to the outer edges I cursed myself for quilting so much per square inch, because I had to keep to the same density the rest of the way. arrrrgggg!

This is a special quilt because I combined some of my mom's stash with mine to make the quilt. She passed away several years before he was born. I have three lap size tops that she left that just worked out to be the personalities of my niece and two nephews. And two others that I will finish for my son. I have picked out and purchased the fabric to enlarge them . Now each will have a quilt of some of her making. I know she did not plan these for them but it just worked out that way. So in a way I still get to work with her on their quilts.

Thanks for the encouracement!
Do you have some photos posted? What do you like to do?

Thanks and Namaste

quiltnut4ever 04-19-2009 01:15 PM

Welcome from SWFL! Which part of Florida do u live?

marty girl 04-19-2009 01:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the rooster.

What a hoot, I just found out I am allergic to feathers!

I'll try to post mor pics. Yall tell me where I can find pics of your work, and thy kind of techniques you like to use!

:)

Mousie 04-20-2009 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by marty girl
I'm in Gainesville.(Alum of U of F) Also known as the 'swamp' or 'Hog town'. I think my van has an auto find because I don't get lost finding the Quilt Show there every year....That is a hard place to navigate and is growing so fast! Where are you now? What kind of quilting do you like? I like hand applique!

Hi from Florida, also. I have two questions: love your rooster, did you get him off a web site? Some of us, are doing chicken/rooster quilts :P
You mentioned an annual Quilt show in Gainesville? Could you tell me when the next one is? I've never been to one, and maybe I could manage it. Seems those that have, loved it. You posted a pic...your in girl. You been reading, so you know, everybody loves pics! :D