Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from Western NY State (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-western-ny-state-t242582.html)

MichelleP 03-05-2014 10:26 AM

Hello from Western NY State

Hello from western New York state.
It's been a very cold winter here. I tend to chickens + ducks outdoors year round. Our homestead seasons determine what type of work we do: growing season, canning season, sewing season, hunting season.

I am new to both quilting and using older sewing machines.
I finished my first quilt top this winter. I dared to try it because of the box of pre cut squares given to me. It took me several years to piece them into a top, working on it only during the winter months.

I discovered that working with color and sewing was a great fall and winter hobby. Mr. P starts his hunting in October so that is when I started hand quilting my first top last fall.

Most all of the fabrics I've used and currently have in stash are scraps given to me by my professional quilting aunt and many from another pro quilter who sold me totes full of high quality fabrics and even some of her ufo's, at her moving south sale.
Meeting that quilter last year had a big impact and influence on my sewing life.

I brought home loads of great quilting supplies, patterns, books, fabrics, etc. I also adopted her mother in laws Singer 1950 . That's what pulled Mr. P into the world of sewing. We became very interested in the vintage Singers. We've spent a lot of these cold days after the holidays reading about and working on different sewing machines. That's how I found my way to this site.

After Mr. P rebuilt his grandmother's 1937 Singer 15-30, it sews so well that I thought that he should now learn to sew. We've had a few lessons and are planning a small baby quilt project before growing (mowing and roofing) seasons start. We think it will be cool for him to sew quilt tops for our future grandkids on his grandma's machine.

I look forward to joining in the discussions here.

loveto 03-05-2014 10:38 AM

Hi Michelle, I am also from NY I'm 10 miles outside Utica. You going to love it here. Everyone here is very nice and helpful.

Tartan 03-05-2014 12:00 PM

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

jetayre 03-05-2014 01:58 PM

Welcome from Vermont. You will find beef, chickens, a couple sheep, alpacas, and a goat around here. You will indeed enjoy this diverse group.

jollyquilting 03-05-2014 02:01 PM

Hi I am from Co and want to welcome you. I hope you can get some warmth pretty quick, I'll bet you are getting cabin fever from this horrendous weather. At least you now have a new addiction, quilting Have fiun.

SouthPStitches 03-05-2014 03:00 PM

Hi Michelle and welcome. I'm from central New York. Halfway between Syracuse & Binghamton. It has been such a long, cold winter and it isn't over yet!

nygal 03-05-2014 03:17 PM

Hi I am from Eastern NY about 10 miles south of Albany.

QuiltnNan 03-05-2014 04:25 PM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

Misty's Mom 03-05-2014 04:43 PM

Welcome from Texas :wave:

Lakeview Quilting 03-05-2014 04:53 PM

Hello Michelle, welcome from Nevada.