Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   HELP! Photo Memory Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/help-photo-memory-quilt-t89846.html)

niabbles 01-12-2011 09:17 AM

I am a mid-fifty, single, childless, unemployed felmale, taking a break from college this semester. I lack 2 semesters of student teaching for an Elementary Teacher Degree. I live in South Texas. I have 3 dachshunds. 2 shorthaired male "tweenies", 1 sable 10 years old, 1 black and tan 9 years old, and 1 red, longhaired full sized 6 year old female.

I recently lost my 81 year old father. I have three sisters, 1 older and 2 younger and a 80 year old mother. I have 1 niece, 1 nephew, 2 step nephews and soon 1 great niece.

My nephew, TJH, will be graduating from college this May, and I would like to make him a memory quilt of his beloved grandpa. My father, my nephew, and I are avid Pittsburgh Steeler fans. Dad was born and raised in Pitcairn, PA.

I have never sewn a quilt before.

mhunt1717 01-12-2011 09:26 AM

Don't know how to do a photo memory quilt, but someone will help you! Welcome from Kentucky!

MamaBear61 01-12-2011 09:28 AM

Hello and welcome from Ontario. If you do a search on photo quilts I think you will find lots of helpful information.

Sadiemae 01-12-2011 09:30 AM

Hello, and welcome from Idaho!

Magdalena 01-12-2011 09:41 AM

Hello and welcome from California. There is quite a few topics on photo memory quilts. On top of this page there is a menu - go to search - type: Memory Quilt and enter. You should find some pretty good advice and tutorials, links and resources. Sorry about your loss, I think it is beautiful that you want to do this for your nephew.

new2quilt 01-12-2011 10:03 AM

Hello and welcome to quilting!!!!
I have found that my family/friends appreciate ANYTHING I make for them. Homemade is synonomous with "lots of love".Now I am learning the right way to quilt and looking back my projects look primitive, but my people thought they were awesome quilts.
Sounds like a great idea (the memory quilt). I have a package of material for photos that a friend gave me. It is the size of a sheet of paper. You choose a photo or image and print it on the material with your computer and printer. I have never used it , but have seen some awesome photos others have printed.
Wishing you the best.
sister new to quilting with rules,
Chris

maine ladybug 01-12-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by niabbles
I am a mid-fifty, single, childless, unemployed felmale, taking a break from college this semester. I lack 2 semesters of student teaching for an Elementary Teacher Degree. I live in South Texas. I have 3 dachshunds. 2 shorthaired male "tweenies", 1 sable 10 years old, 1 black and tan 9 years old, and 1 red, longhaired full sized 6 year old female.

I recently lost my 81 year old father. I have three sisters, 1 older and 2 younger and a 80 year old mother. I have 1 niece, 1 nephew, 2 step nephews and soon 1 great niece.

My nephew, TJH, will be graduating from college this May, and I would like to make him a memory quilt of his beloved grandpa. My father, my nephew, and I are avid Pittsburgh Steeler fans. Dad was born and raised in Pitcairn, PA.

I have never sewn a quilt before.

You can purchase the photo ready fabric at you Local Quilt Shop. Just follow the direction and it will come out fine. I've done several memory quilts and used pictures on some. Since you are just starting out, you may want to do a beginner pattern. You could do something like a square in a square and put pictures in some of them.
I hope it works out for you. The board is always here to help with any questions you might have.

Jim's Gem 01-12-2011 11:12 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

CarrieAnne 01-12-2011 12:06 PM

welcome!

gollytwo 01-12-2011 12:09 PM

Greetings and welcome from New Hampshire
Have fun, you'll no doubt become as addicted to quilting as the rest of us.