Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi, from Arkansas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-arkansas-t269611.html)

lyllye 09-05-2015 01:33 AM

Hi, from Arkansas

Hi, I am fairly new to quilting. I did a little bit of hand quilting with my grandmother when I was a teenager. I have just started some machine quilting, doing quilt as you go and basically self-taught using the internet. I am looking at retirement within the next year and would like to be quilting more...and would really like to purchase a long arm at that time. I do have questions but really don't even quite know what those should be.

I am wondering about suggestions pre-washing fabrics. I have mostly been quilting with recycled denim a to be honest right now it is my fabric of choice. Since the denim jeans have been pre-washed I have not had to be concerned about pre-washing but have lately completed another quilt and to be honest I am really concerned about it bleeding the first time that it gets washed. So I went to the internet to search. Most of the blogs or instructions I found left me with the same concerns about exactly what would be the best way to pre-wash. My biggest concern being how do you pre-wash but keep your newly bought fabric from unraveling in the wash? And next do you need to size your fabric?

QuiltnNan 09-05-2015 02:51 AM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

Lori B. 09-05-2015 04:06 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

Angel Bear 09-05-2015 04:07 AM

Welcome from OHIO! :wave: There are so many different opinions about pre-washing fabric. Personally, I don't pre-wash but I always wash the finished quilt. I use color catchers in the first wash and I haven't had any problems with colors running. I'm sure you'll hear lots of other opinions on this subject. Welcome to the board!

cjsews 09-05-2015 04:08 AM

Welcome from Tennessee. Pre washing is a personal preference. Some swear by it and others ignore it. I am not a prewasher unless a piece looks like it has a lot of extra dye. That just takes time to figure out. As for raveling, you could do a quick zigzag on the edges or use a pinking shears. Oh, and always prewasher flannel because of the amount it shrinks

honeybee_2000 09-05-2015 04:33 AM

welcome from Arkansas..:) only thing I prewash are reds. lesson learned on that particular color...lol

Mariposa 09-05-2015 04:51 AM

Welcome from Washington! I pre-wash it all! ;)

Abby'smom 09-05-2015 04:58 AM

:) welcome from se TX -- I don't prewash and haven't had any bleeding of fabrics and don't size my fabric although sometimes I use starch when pressing my blocks--I'm afraid that I'm a rather lazy quilter!!

lyllye 09-05-2015 07:02 AM

oh, wow, great responses. I didn't expect such quick responses.

Thumbelina 09-05-2015 01:47 PM

Hi and welcome from NE Ohio, have fun quilting.