Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi from the English seaside (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-english-seaside-t80279.html)

daisylil 12-05-2010 03:19 AM

HI ANNIE , im in not so sunny devon, I would go for a new machine , a bit of an expense but covered for misshaps ,

Abby'smom 12-05-2010 08:07 AM

Welcome from southeast Texas

Katiequiltsalot 12-05-2010 08:24 AM

Hi Annie Welcome from Kentucky

campion 12-05-2010 08:30 AM

Welcome Annie from Darlington in in the North East----it's still very snowy!!!!

Treasureit 12-05-2010 08:39 AM

I would think there could be some nice buys on used machines these days, at least here in the US, with so many people downsizing from the poor economy. I would check that out if you know enough about machines to be self taught.

Welcome from Southern California.

kellen46 12-05-2010 11:33 AM

Welcome from the pacific northwest. I lived in a small village in the midlands as a child and I always remember my time there as just a bit magical. The countryside was gently sculped with pockets of tree shaded glens. They were filled with wild flowers and a little animals. I always felt like it was like living in a fairy tale. Of course that was almost sixty years ago. Still when I think of that place I think of it as if in a dream. My other favorite place was Cambridge, especially on market day. I could go to the sixpence each book stall and get lovely old fairy tale books with my allowance.
My best friend Maggie's mum taught me how to do hand embroidery. What a fun part of my childhood.

Sunflower Girl 12-05-2010 11:34 AM

Howdy from Texas!

Quilting Fran 12-05-2010 01:49 PM

Hi and welcome from middle Tennessee USA
I haven't lived in England, but I have traveled there on four
trips thru the years. I enjoyed each of them.

TexasSunshine 12-06-2010 04:13 AM

Annie, welcome from NE Texas. I would buy the Pfaff 1471 for $100. I bought mine in 1986 new for $1000 and it is one of the best machines. I still sew on mine all the time and it is a real workhorse. It has great features. If I could find another one I would buy it.

mayday 12-10-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieH
Hello everyone,
I'm Annie and I'm trying to re-learn my quilting from 10 yrs ago. I'm going to have a few lessons but I can't practise at the moment as I fell last week and broke two fingers (another major hobby is walking and I tripped on a wonderful 10 mile hike). It's a nuisance and frustrating but I'm spending the time sorting my stash and reading and youtubing (what a resource).

I think my cheapie machine bought many years ago is not fit for purpose any more and makes sewing a trial rather than a pleasure.

My OH is lovely and wants to buy me a new machine for Christmas but I'm wondering if an older second hand one would be better (I don't think he realises how much a good new one would cost). I found an ad. in a local paper for a Pfaff 1471 which is 15yrs old (£100). Should I or shouldn't I (I'll obviously try it out etc if I go that route).

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers,
Annie

which seaside?