Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi from Florida (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-florida-t310534.html)

ms21457 04-12-2020 05:59 AM

Hi from Florida

So great to have found this forum. I started making quilts awhile back. Nothing fancy and only a few. I can do nice straight line quilting but that's about it. I need and want to learn FMQ but find it so hard. My mind wants to do one thing while my hands do another. I am starting to get jobs here and there and although I can send to a LAQ, I would prefer to be able to at least meander or stipple by myself. Any advice?

Anyway, nice meeting you all and stay safe!

Iceblossom 04-12-2020 06:34 AM

Hello and welcome!

It really is a matter of practice practice practice until you find the technique(s) that works for you -- as well as the size of project, the types of fabric and batting and all the other variables.

Some people do wonderful things on tiny little old machines, I'm not one of them. Some people quilt in strips and do wonderful things, again, I'm not one of them. I got by on my old trusty machine with simple grids and curves but I was unable to do the designs I wanted to do.

I had access to a friend's long arm for a number of years and I got spoiled. For me, it is a natural thing to move myself and the head of the machine and not the quilt. Even with a deep-throated machine I still don't like moving the quilt around but I'm willing to put together my twin and smaller projects on my modern Bernina -- unfortunately my preferred design size is closer to queen.

I'm piling up completed tops waiting for quilting at a pretty steady and alarming rate.

Tartan 04-12-2020 07:33 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Getting a smooth meander was actually harder for me then loop d loop was when I first started FMQ. Loop d loops give you a spot to rest and reposition your hands and the quilt sandwich where the loop or circle crosses the line. Where the line crosses also allows you to change direction to fill open spaces. You might also try doing a line and then the 5 point star you learned in grade school before going to the next section.

Rhonda K 04-12-2020 08:53 AM

Hello & welcome from the East Coast. I heard it takes practice to get your rhythm first. Good luck on learning the different techniques.

ms21457 04-12-2020 09:28 AM

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and advice. I just set up and tried to FMQ. My stitches are 😂 and I'm going slow. Have the stitch length at 2.5
confusing but love it at the szme time.

granky 04-12-2020 03:03 PM

A warm welcome from Southern Indiana! Good luck getting mind and hands coordinated...it can be done, but it takes time. (I'm OK with vines and leaves, but my hands balk at feathers. My mind sees them so perfect!....but then........)

osewme 04-12-2020 03:17 PM

Welcome from Texas. I still haven't gotten the hang of FMQ because I don't like to practice. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.png[/img] I know they say "practice makes perfect" but I want perfect without the practice! Silly me...perfect will never happen for me.

Quiltah Mama 04-12-2020 04:00 PM

Welcome from Maine. It takes practice, practice, practice for FMQ, I attempted many projects on my sewing machine, and watched a lot of Youtube videos, and just can't seem to feel comfortable and fluent with it. I did buy a midarm quilting machine, it sews very similar to a long arm, but my machine and throat space are no where near what a long arm has to offer. I am very comfortable with my midarm, and can meander pretty well, leaves, looping, and I am practicing stippling right now. My brain seems to operate under the mindset of moving the machine, not the quilt I guess. Good luck, can't wait to see some of your work, happy quilting.

pocoellie 04-12-2020 04:10 PM

I've been practicing FMQ for 15 years and can now do a fairly decent meander and loop de loops, but don't have the talent to do anything fancier. I know a couple gals that can't cut or sew straight but can do tiny little vases with flowers, etc., on a rinky dinky el cheapo little brother with barely enough room for your hand, and she does this WITH a walking foot, not a FM foot. There's lots of people that have certain talents to do different things, I'm not one of those.

It does reduce the drag of the quilt if the table or whatever your machine sits on is even with the bed of your machine. Also throat space helps tremendously.

Welcome to the Board.

juliasb 04-14-2020 06:57 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! It is great to have you and to hear how your quilting adventures are moving along. FMQ takes time to perfect. Practice, practice, practice is the key. I have one machine with a larger throat that I can use and that helps a great deal. I can FMQ on others. I have yet to take out a quilt to have it LA'ed. But I am getting closer to doing this. Once this virus has let us out a bit that is on the list for 2 quilts. I just purchased some rulers, they have not yet arrived for FMQ and I look forward to learning on them. It is an exciting thing to have your work admired and to have orders for your workmanship. Congratulations! I look forward to seeing you here. Jump right in and join the fun! Again welcome to the QB!