Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi from New Jersey (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-new-jersey-t310044.html)

Dalykim 03-07-2020 08:11 AM

Hi from New Jersey

Hello from New Jersey, I am brand new to this quilting board. I have joined for guidance. My mom, who was probably a part of this quilting board, sadly passed away in November. She was an avid quilter for many many years and has a large amount of quality fabrics (at least three large cabinets plus...). My Dad wants to sell it and other of her items, so I am trying to figure out the best way to give her love for this fabric (and several unfinished quilts in various stages) the care it deserves. I do sew, she taught me well, and very basic quilt skills (I can make tee shirt quilts lol) and I have knowledge of fabrics from working in fabric stores for years when I was younger. I have heard to sell the lots by color and weight. She did a good job storing the fabrics essentially by colors and shades. There are some fat quarters rolled up. There are also items such as used rotary cutters and blades still in packages. Any advice or suggestions from any of you who live in her world of quilters would be greatly appreciated. ❤️💔❤️ Thank you

NJ Quilter 03-07-2020 09:22 AM

Welcome from another Jersey girl! Where in NJ are you and/or your mom's things? I might be able to give you some local resources.

I'm currently out of town with a family emergency but please reply or PM me and I'll try to help.

Dalykim 03-07-2020 09:31 AM

To NJ Quilter

I sent a quick reply but do not know if it worked. No rush, but when you are back in town could you let me know if you got my other message. I am in Toms River. Don’t know how to navigate this site yet, including comments and threads.

juliasb 03-07-2020 10:22 AM

First of all let me welcome you the the QB from SE Michigan. I am sorry to hear that you mom has passed away. What was her screen name here? You did fine making a comment on the board a moment ago. It is good to have you here. What a tribute to finish up some of her quilts it you are able to. I often say to people my stash will out live me so I have made arrangements for it already. I do hope you and your father will be able to sort through things and make good decisions on selling, donating, keeping or sharing with other quilters her quilting things. You, I am sure know that there are many ways you could make this a living legacy. I look forward to seeing a great deal of you on the board. Again Welcome to the QB!

granky 03-07-2020 05:34 PM

A warm welcome from Southern Indiana! I'm glad you joined the board, glad you know something about quilting, and hope you continue your Mother's work...that is, if you enjoy it. (It is addictive, you know). From the board you'll get encouragement, help, advice and just about any thing else you need pertaining to quilting. Again, welcome!

NJ Quilter 03-07-2020 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dalykim (Post 8367073)
I sent a quick reply but do not know if it worked. No rush, but when you are back in town could you let me know if you got my other message. I am in Toms River. Don’t know how to navigate this site yet, including comments and threads.

If you click on my user name, there will be a link to send me a 'Private Message'. Click on that link and I will get your message. I do remember corresponding briefly with another quilter here on the board in the Toms River area but am not finding any of her messages in my PM folder so not quite sure what happened there.

My schedule is very fluid at the moment. I do have internet access while traveling - time and timing are the current issues. Let us know your mom's screen name here if you know it and that might trigger something for me as well. And I'm very sorry for your loss, by the way. Have walked in those particular moccasins. Actually, at the moment I am in CT due to my brother being very recently placed under hospice care in the hospital. It's been very quick and quite stunning.

I'll be in touch, though.

Lori B. 03-08-2020 04:19 AM

Welcome from Michigan! Sorry to hear of your Mom's passing.

QuiltnNan 03-08-2020 04:57 AM

Welcome to the QB from western NY and sorry to hear of your loss

goldsberry921 03-08-2020 10:19 AM

Truly sorry for the loss of your Mom. Near or far, this forum somehow pulls together one way or another. Spectacular bunch of people!!

jmoore 03-09-2020 02:46 AM

Welcome to the QB, you’re gonna love this group of talented and friendly quilters.