Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi from Oklahoma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-oklahoma-t39633.html)

grannyok 03-15-2010 12:59 PM

I am a wanna be quilter I would like help showing me how to get started.

raptureready 03-15-2010 01:06 PM

Go shopping for fabric, rulers, a great machine, thread etc.

Just kidding, kind of. Ooops I hit the wrong button and sent this too soon. Read the next one.

raptureready 03-15-2010 01:10 PM

Go shopping for fabric, rulers, a great machine, thread etc.

Just kidding, kind of. Check out the fabric stores in your area and take a few classes. If you look and ask around enough you can find ones that are pretty cheap. I take a Block of the Month
(BOM) that's only $2 and you get your fabric with the pattern and a Thangles that called Buck-a-Block. I also go to a Strips and Scraps club that if free, and another BOM that's $60 per year. There are some classes that can run much higher but I've never taken them. Look at quilting magazine---they will usually have the patterns marked Beginner, Intermediate, Experienced.
Check out web sites like the Quilters Cache they have excellent patterns and intrustions. I think that might be the same as Quilt Blocks Galore (check it out). There are all kinds of websited that have free patterns and wonderful instructions. Just type in Free Quilt Patterns and you can spend days looking at all of them. Oh, you also might type in: quilt quilds in and around______ (where ever you live). Hope this helps.

Jim's Gem 03-15-2010 02:28 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California.
There are lots of really talented folks (men and women) around here that love to help out with any questions.
Do you have a quilt shop in your area or a JoAnns where you can take a beginner class? I had friends show me how to quilt and help me with all I needed to know.

Lacelady 03-15-2010 03:01 PM

A big welcome from Ireland - just ask questions - there is sure to be someone who can answer.

raptureready 03-15-2010 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
A big welcome from Ireland - just ask questions - there is sure to be someone who can answer.

And lots of them! I've typed in an answer and before I get done and send it three others have said the same thing or just the opposite.

:lol:

MamaBear61 03-15-2010 03:58 PM

Hello and welcome from Ontario. Use the search button on this website. It has become one of my best friends for ideas and inspiration

Pamela Artman 03-15-2010 04:11 PM

Hello from Michigan! I'm a quilt teacher and taught a class for beginners for a couple years. If I can be of any help, let me know. The way I teach beginners is to make a 12 block sampler (as in my picture to the left), starting with a 9 patch block (about as easy as you can get) and progressing in difficulty with each block learning new techniques until the last block is a difficult applique block. Do you have fabric selected? Do you know what size you want to make? Just send me a PM if I can help.

Pamela Artman 03-15-2010 04:14 PM

Hello from Michigan! I'm a quilt teacher and taught a class for beginners for a couple years. If I can be of any help, let me know. The way I teach beginners is to make a 12 block sampler, starting with a 9 patch block (about as easy as you can get) and progressing in difficulty with each block learning new techniques until the last block is a difficult applique block. Do you have fabric selected? Do you know what size you want to make? Just send me a PM if I can help.

littlehud 03-15-2010 06:42 PM

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here.