Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi from Sunny San Diego (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-sunny-san-diego-t62800.html)

KrystalynnLight 09-02-2010 10:28 PM

I registered a little while back, when I first got the quilting bug, but haven't had much time to actually read and post much. Working part time eats up enough of my time that I'm just now getting around to the intro part!

I'm 44, married, and love to sew, photograph and learn new skills. I've got a wonderful hand sewn quilt that is Red and White, that my grandmother made. She was born in 1892, in Ohio. I have it stashed away, and have not identified the pattern yet, but fondly remember the hand stitching on it, from when it was on her bed. Gram taught me to sew my first buttons, and I was lucky enough to have her even sew me some outfits to wear when I was a kid. Being 75 when I was born, I never was quite old enough to really ask her more about quilting before she was gone. There was one other quilt she had, which I've handed down to my neice, who had never met her great grandma Leah. I hope she still has it, since I had given it to her when she was a teen, I hope she treasured it as I have the red and white one.

I am new to quilting, and plan on starting out with a Rail Fence as my first project, and working my way up to squares and then triangles. I was fortunate enough to get many rulers from an estate of a quilter named Roberta Stockton, here in La Jolla/San Diego. I also was able to get many books and magazines to help me on this journey, so now I just need to get more fabric!!!

My first major fabric purchase was 75 Fat Quarters from an eBay seller, and I was able to get them for less than 1 each! +shipping. I lovingly have washed and ironed them all, and sliced several into 2 1/2" strips... as well as 3 1/2" blocks..

We are fortunate to have a nice number of fabric stores here in SD, and I made a nice trip there a month or so ago to the Discount Fabrics store on Adams Ave. It was a fun experience, and I wanted so much more than I could afford!

I look forward to getting to know more people here, as the postings I've seen so far show a wide and varied group of warm hearted, giving souls who help each other in this ever expanding sea of fabric!

Sadiemae 09-02-2010 11:12 PM

Welcome from Idaho!

Sew Krazy Girl 09-02-2010 11:34 PM

Hello - I'm a neighbor, North County. And you're right, we have a lot of nice shops here. Will you be going to the SD Quilt Show starting Sept 16th? I'm thinking about it.

I'm also am participating in the pillowslip project. We've probably exceeded our goal by now - don't you think?

Have you thought about adding a sleeve to your grandmother's quilt and hanging it on a wall? It would make a nice exhibit and you could admire it every day. Something to think about.

Patty Patches 09-03-2010 01:59 AM

HI welcome from Kentucky

SharonD 09-03-2010 03:41 AM

Hi from Sunny Scotland

CarrieAnne 09-03-2010 04:23 AM

Welcome!

SueDor 09-03-2010 05:09 AM

Hello from Ohio.

donnajean 09-03-2010 05:39 AM

Welcome from southeastern PA!

dkabasketlady 09-03-2010 05:46 AM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!!

MaryStoaks 09-03-2010 07:19 AM

Welcome from La Quinta CA.