Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi, from Upstate New York (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-upstate-new-york-t33965.html)

no1jan 01-12-2010 02:43 PM

I just saw a picture of the quilt that Kim is making "Tumbling Blocks" which I thought was beautiful.

I just started quilting last year the week before Thanksgiving.
I always wanted to learn how to quilt, but never had the time. Then I had a stroke and lost my center vision so thought I would never be able to quilt.

Slowly over the last 6 years, I have tried and succeeded doing some of the crafts I used to do. Crocheting, macrame, rug making, etc. Still can't knit, but never was good at it before anyway. I go a lot by feel as I get very dizzy looking sideways.

My sister-in-law introduced me to quilting in November. She has made several quilts which I love. We sat down one afternoon and she showed me how to make a yo-yo and I caught the fever. We are now quilting buddies.

I am still working on the Yo-yo quilt as a take-a-long whenever we go somewhere or if I have a short amount of time.

I also started a log cabin quilt for my granddaughter which I thought I had messed up, but my sister-in-law insists that it is really good at least for a half blind beginner.

I just happened on this group by a message in a different group and am glad I did. Everyone seems so friendly and the quilts are absolutely gorgeous. I hope some day to have a quilt that I can post a picture of.

Bye for now and Happy Quilting!
Jan

Jim's Gem 01-12-2010 02:53 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

Shemjo 01-12-2010 03:21 PM

Hello, and welcome from Missouri! Congratulations on getting hooked on quilting! Glad you keep trying new things!

littlehud 01-12-2010 04:28 PM

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here.

BKinCO 01-12-2010 04:30 PM

You're lucky to have a quilt buddy! Wish I had one!

Where in Upstate are you?? We used to live in both Geneva and Canandaigua and my oldest was born in Rochester. I sure miss it...but I love where I'm at now :)

mic-pa 01-12-2010 05:20 PM

Hi, Glad you could join us, I live just South of Binghmton NY on the Pa. line. You can learn a lot from the people here.

cutebuns 01-12-2010 09:02 PM

welcome from Alberta Canada

no1jan 01-13-2010 02:13 AM

I live in Rotterdam. I is about 14 miles west of Albany.
I do like living here in the spring and summer when everything starts turning green. I love flowers and my yard is full of periennels. But once it starts to turn cool, I start to hibernate. Then I really get started on my crafts.

I haven't found very many quilting shops yet, but keep on looking. I would love to take a class, but the adult ed by me is not giving one until fall and the places I called are about 25 miles away. I can't drive, so have to depend on my husbandl

I grew up in California and love the heat, but hated the crowds and smog.

Quilt4u 01-13-2010 02:29 AM

Hi and welcome from MA.

Bevanger 01-13-2010 08:32 AM

Hello & welcome