Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   hiya from Hope, AR--cathedral windows twenty eons project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hiya-hope-ar-cathedral-windows-twenty-eons-project-t191616.html)

Janet L52 06-13-2012 11:28 AM

Welcome from northern California!

Neesie 06-13-2012 11:39 AM

Howdy and welcome, from Texas!

honeybee_2000 06-24-2012 11:20 AM

welcome from Camden, Arkansas...:)

Phannie1 06-24-2012 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello from Coastal Georgia, Mom and Dad are old razor backs from Newark and Cherokee Village.
I have down a CW project using black cotton and jewel tones for window. I loved how it turned out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]344378[/ATTACH]

Lakeview Quilting 06-24-2012 04:55 PM

Hello, welcome from Oklahoma!!!

jeanice 06-25-2012 07:18 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the inspiration for my project!

Nancy Ingham 06-25-2012 10:01 AM

Hi Jeanice,

Welcome from the Lakes Region of New Hampshire.

My dear friend, Debbie, and I are currently working on Cathedral Window quilts and are using the traditional muslin backing. I am using 100% cotton fabric for my windows …every ‘window’ a different color and/or print. Debbie is using a variety of fabrics, all different colors and prints. She has silks, cottons, flannel, etc. It is coming out beautifully! Remember, Cathedral Window is a very old pattern and the women then used varies scraps of fabric, whatever they had on hand, in their quilts. What we have both done which may be a little different; we stitched a small square of ‘Warm & Natural’ batting behind each ‘window’ square of fabric. It gives each window a little substance and adds extra overall warmth to the quilt.

Many quilters today use a variety of backing materials and colors, including jeans. There are no quilting do’s or don’t here, you are free to use what you like. I personally find it very endearing to use traditional vintage patterns and fabrics.

I am sure whatever you use will be beautiful! Will all your windows be the same silk fabric throughout or will you be using different colors and patterns of silk?

Have fun; it goes slow if you do it by hand as we are, but we find it relaxing and a great travel project.

Nancy

MacThayer 06-25-2012 10:04 PM

Hi Jeanice, and Welcome to the Quilting Board from a quilter in sunny Nevada! We're a great group here, and I hope you find yourself right at home.

I was thinking about your silk Cathedral Windows, and thinking that if your fabric is a bit too fragile for a quilt, perhaps you could do it as a foundation piece. With something permanent like another fabric as a background, and the silk stitched on top of that, there would be no concern for stretching or sagging out of shape. Just a thought. Paper piecing wouldn't have the same advantage because the paper is isn't permanent, it's removed obviously.

Would really love to see that project as a photo when finished!

Cheers!

gollytwo 06-26-2012 01:29 AM

Greetings from New Hampshire

SulaBug 06-28-2012 12:05 AM

Hello there & Welcome to our Quilting Board from the state of Washington!! I can't answer your question, but I am sure that you will gain a lot of knowledge from everyone on here. We all love to share.
:D :D :D :D