Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   I've been quilting for two days and I'm hooked (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/ive-been-quilting-two-days-im-hooked-t242322.html)

Cedar 03-01-2014 11:52 PM

I've been quilting for two days and I'm hooked

1 Attachment(s)
I've been around quilts all my life. My grandma is a very skilled quilter and I grew up going to quilt shows, looking at quilt books and magazines, sleeping with fancy quilts (my wedding quilt that I sleep with most nights took second place viewers choice in a local quilt show), and occasionally helping with fabric layout, but I never actually quilted. I was intimidated by all those straight lines! In college and high school I studied art and quickly learned that straight lines and neat clean precise style didn't work well for me. . . . . But when I was visiting this week my 10 year old niece had a quilting lesson and I joined in. While she was quilting I laid out some squares of my own and when she got board I started stitching . . . And stayed until I had the whole top together. (7x10 6 inch squares because that's the size that fit on the dining room table easy) The next day I went back to finish (envelope style and tied). There are some waves in the lines where I quilted the edge but its straighter than I thought it would be!

Now I'm eagerly planning how to work on a new project when I'm back home in Portland and away from grandmas sewing room and fabric stash. I've decided to try twin size with smaller 5 inch squares. Im interested in playing with color blends. If my math is correct I can to the top with 7 - 1/2 yard fabric pieces, which should be doable without being too $$$, but this will be my first time cutting the fabric myself so that's the first challenge.

It will be an adventure!

Cedar 03-02-2014 03:43 AM

I realized that I skipped all of the typical intro stuff after reading a few other ones. I'm 35 and I am a floral designer living in Portland, OR with my boyfriend and two cats. My background is in design. I studied graphic design and interior design before dropping out of college and going to the Floral Design Institute.

auntpiggylpn 03-02-2014 04:45 AM

Welcome from Michigan! You have landed in the right spot! This board is an amazing extensive collection of information. Jump in with both feet!

Tartan 03-02-2014 04:46 AM

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Nice job on your first quilt! May it be the first of many.

Misty's Mom 03-02-2014 05:04 AM

Welcome from Texas

Lori B. 03-02-2014 05:54 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

Abby'smom 03-02-2014 06:23 AM

:) welcome from se TX

Doggramma 03-02-2014 08:02 AM

Welcome from Wisconsin! You sure did a nice job matching up your squares and your quilt looks great! Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. But I'm sure someone will come along that does. Lots of nice helpful folks here.

Wildernessties 03-02-2014 09:14 AM

Welcome from the Adirondack Mountains of northern NY state!

MartiMorga 03-02-2014 09:20 AM

Oh I can see an addict in the future!!! Welcome from NW Tennessee from a misplaced Michigander.