Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Kathleen --- trying to get organized in New Mexico (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/kathleen-trying-get-organized-new-mexico-t259440.html)

KathleenV 01-09-2015 11:58 AM

Kathleen --- trying to get organized in New Mexico

Hi! My name is Kathleen and I'm from Santa Fe, New Mexico. I've been a member for a few weeks, but this is my first time posting. Since I joined, I've mainly been reading all the tips on organization. My tiny sewing room is a disaster, and I've been putting of quilting or sewing until I can get the clutter under control. Thank you to everyone who has posted tips and pictures, they have been a huge help to me. Hopefully, once I'm all done with my makeover, I can post my own tips and photos.

Barb in Louisiana 01-09-2015 01:54 PM

Welcome from South Louisiana. I have a really big sewing room and it is a disaster. My shelving needs to be rearranged and then maybe I can get some of the TOO, much fabric off the floor. I do love sales and I do buy fabric that I love when it is on sale. This year I am on a no-buying spree until Festival in Houston in late October. Wish me luck.

KalamaQuilts 01-09-2015 02:30 PM

welcome Kathleen. The effort will be worth it. What I had to train myself to do was put things away, not just drop them, and to spend a few minutes tidying up a bit when I quit sewing for the day. SO nice to be able to walk in and just begin

KathleenV 01-09-2015 02:47 PM

Thank you both! I have to do a serious purge. I've started working on the books and have weeded out more than half of the books and am now starting on my magazines. I'm looking through each one and asking myself how realistic it is that I'll make each pattern. I've been using the excuse that I've been keeping them for "inspiration" --- but, I can go to this board --- or to Pinterest for inspiration, so that excuse no longer works. Fabric is going to be the hardest. I honestly don't know how much I can bear to part with, but I just don't have the space to keep it all :-(

juneayerza 01-09-2015 02:49 PM

Welcome from Central California! We all let our sew areas get to a mess at one time or another so don't feel bad. Happy Quilting.

QuiltnNan 01-09-2015 05:17 PM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

quiltingcandy 01-09-2015 05:34 PM

Welcome from Southern California! I am sure most of us can relate to what you are doing. When I went thru my magazines, if I couldn't remember why I kept it, out it went. If there was a quilt I wanted to make, I cut it out and put it in a plastic sleeve and put it into a three ring binder and recycled the rest of it. Patterns that I have purchased or have been given to me I either use a tack and hang it on a wall in the sewing room or it also goes in a sleeve in the binder.

My fabric for the most part is wrapped around the comic book boards. Then I separated it into boxes by topics - i.e.: Christmas, Halloween/Fall, Kids, Florals, Sports Teams and then colors. I do have a rather large plastic box that I keep my backing fabrics and another box for UFO's and another box for scraps that I just can't let go.

It was a challenge and took me weeks to get the fabric under control. But I am so glad that I did, I was surprised how much I had and what I didn't realize that I had.

Oh did anyone tell you that it never ends? After each quilt it almost feels like you are doing it again.

What are your favorite quilts to make? Or do you like a new challenge with each quilt?

QuiltMom2 01-10-2015 04:54 AM

Welcome! Organization is a good thing but needs ongoing maintenance. My sewing room is currently in need of federal disaster aid, bur as usual, I'm just going to have to clean up after myself! But I was able to put my hand on a scrap I need to take to LQS for matching to get a backing to get a UFO done so maybe it isn't as bad as it's been at various points over the years. Have a great day!

Abby'smom 01-10-2015 06:26 AM

:) welcome from se TX

lots2do 01-10-2015 06:33 AM

Welcome! I must confess I enjoy reading about organization more than I like working on my space but it really must be done! In fact, that is my goal for today!