Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   A lurker coming out (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/lurker-coming-out-t164476.html)

eyes 10-30-2011 02:03 PM

I have been following the quilters' forum for over a year trying to learn how to be a good quilter like all of you here.

I enjoy hand piecing and hand quilting doll quilts and have all of Kathleen Tracy's books, some patterns and squares.

Because I am self-taught I have stayed in hiding hoping one day to make the perfect quilt but finally came to realize that may never be. Sometimes it's all about the journey and I do learn something new each time.

Now the beginning of my quilting story...we did a survey job for an older couple (81 years old) and when I stepped up on her porch I saw the sewing machine set up and ask her what she was sewing and she brought out some log cabin squares. That was the beginning. She has been giving me quilting lessons since and lets me quilt with her on a queen size quilt on a frame that belonged to her grandmother but has been added on to to hold a bigger quilt than full size. Before this I didn't use a thimble, hoop or frame. I do use my thimble now but am still fighting with my hoop.

Sadly she is dying of lung cancer and I can see her slowly fading away and it makes me sad.

She has given me a winter assignment and I am making a table runner with her fabrics and making my own templates.
Really I think she just wants me to have a part of her and I am working on this instead of my Christmas gifts so she can see a little of my work before the snow arrives.

Her granddaughter who lives out West has contacted my daughter (they played softball together in high school) to say 'thank you' but really I am getting something out of this quilting journey myself.

Now I'm going to hit the 'send' and wipe the tears from my eyes.

Aprilisslowlylearnlytoquilt 10-30-2011 02:12 PM

Welcome, and what a wonderful story, made me have tears myself.

RenaB 10-30-2011 02:13 PM

What a touching story. I can't wait to see your first project. Welcome from Georgia.

Vivian Ketron 10-30-2011 03:28 PM

Hello and welcome from MO.

Charleen DiSante 10-30-2011 03:30 PM

Hello eyes, welcome from Mass. It is amazing what joy you feel when you give as you are. Bless you.

hensandhollyhocks 10-30-2011 03:42 PM

What a wonderful experience for both of you!

fayzer 10-30-2011 04:45 PM

Your story made me catch my breath. What a lovely gift.....from both of you. Welcome from the Sunshine state.

Lakeview Quilting 10-30-2011 05:31 PM

Hello, welcome from Oklahoma!!!

Thumbelina 10-30-2011 05:33 PM

Welcome from NE Ohio, and I want to say thank you also, for putting meaning into her life and giving her purpose to go on. THANK YOU.

:thumbup:

harrold48 10-30-2011 05:35 PM

To find someone to share your love of crafts with, is truly a blessing for you both.