Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   NC Grammie here again? I think? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/nc-grammie-here-again-i-think-t315669.html)

starryblu 06-20-2021 01:10 PM

NC Grammie here again? I think?

I think I might have joined before, but haven't been around so much. I've always loved quilting, but am definitely not experienced! I've been involved in knitting and other needlework until arthritis in my hands stepped in and put a stop to that.

Luckily, I've found that hand piecing has become the perfect hobby for me! I'm very excited about that, and I've come to see if I can collect some tips. I've made four (woohoo, FOUR) very simple quilts. (ok, one wasn't simple, I took a class where we made a sampler quilt, and it turned out beautiful.) Right now, I thought I would just start working on some, and stash them away for a day when I could decide what I wanted to do with them. I have five grandchildren, so surely someone will want one.

So my details...I am the mom of three grown sons. One lives here in NC, one in Iowa, one buried in Iowa. I call myself a transplanted Iowan. I love it there. I'm 62, married, just did the bucket list thing and drove all over most of the US, bravely during COVID (I'm kinda proud of that.) Anyway, as I said, I have five grandchildren, 1 boy and 4 girls. Mostly I hang out at home. No work. I love to read, and I'm thrilled that I've been working on my quilt. I love it and I'd love anyone's advice.

Tartan 06-20-2021 02:28 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. 🇨🇦

Iceblossom 06-20-2021 08:18 PM

So happy you have found us, maybe again. I'm 60, married, one grown son and they tell me the only grandson and we (hubby and I) bravely did a drive during not only Covid but the Oregon/California fires last year. My birthday just had terrible timing!

I've been a quilter since I was quite young but I have vision issues and don't know how much longer I will be able to keep going -- I'm hoping another 5-10 years but I'm relearning knitting now while I have more vision so maybe I can do something fancier later.

Even with vision issues, I am still a reader, or at least listen to audio books. One nice thing is that by listening you can do two hobbies at once, both quilting and reading. Otherwise, they don't mesh very well at all.

WMUTeach 06-21-2021 02:34 AM

Welcome or welcome back! I did my first hand quilted quilt about 2 years ago. A lost art for some but lots of help here and on Youtube. Good for you for making 4 already. Just dive in ask questions and wander about all of the threads that interest you and some that don't . Comment, ask questions and learn from our mistakes, our expertise and our opinions. Just a bunch of friends chatting around the table with a cup of tea and a quilting project in hand. I am from the fruit belt of Michigan and an hour from the Big Lake. Oh, and I am a Grammie too.

Lori B. 06-21-2021 03:25 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

juliasb 06-21-2021 04:59 AM

Welcome for SE Michigan! Glad to have you here (again). Jump right in and join the fun. so much to learn and so much to share. Again welcome to the QB!

sewbizgirl 06-21-2021 01:58 PM

Welcome from MS!

leaha 06-21-2021 03:01 PM

a warm welcome from Ky.