Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New to Forum and Sewing with a Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-forum-sewing-question-t219820.html)

Vridar 04-23-2013 01:13 PM

New to Forum and Sewing with a Question

Hello,

I've recently retired. I've had a fear of the mysteries and arts of sewing and sewing machines. My parents, wife and all have said, "Don't touch my sewing machine, it is adjusted and I don't want anyone messing with it." Many times I needed to repair something but was stigmatized against "it is adjusted, leave it alone."

Recently, I tore a boat cover and found I could buy a sewing machine, fabric, and thread for less money than a new cover or repair. I did just that and I'm hooked. I now understand, "leave it alone." Adjustments can be daunting, but, I've mastered it. I have taken the vintage collection, repair and re-home machines tangent. I've made three blankets for grandchildren to take to sporting events (they were patches sewn) but, I don't think anyone would call them quilts. I've made lounge slip covers, shoulder bags, etc. and completed practical projects until now I'm fabricating projects of no purpose. As I say, I'm hooked.

I do have a question though. Reading some threads I don't think anyone here can answer it:). I have collected machines. I tell my wife this collection is only to re-home them. Which ones do I re-home:(? I've fallen in love with each and feel as if I'm thinking of ditching a loved one when they are ready to re-home.

Ron

Tartan 04-23-2013 01:25 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I think you can forget about re-homing them and consider yourself a machine collector. I've admitted to myself I am a fabric collector.:D

barny 04-23-2013 01:32 PM

Welcome from Dallas Tx. area. Don't re-home them yet. I walk by mine and touch them and talk to them. Not getting rid of any of them.LOL

NikkiLu 04-23-2013 07:17 PM

Welcome to the QB from a fellow SHO-ME resident - Lebanon here. Can't help you on your collection/addiction - but it could turn into a money maker I am sure. I am going to St. Louis this weekend to pick up my first 301 Singer - can't wait!

J Carol 04-24-2013 02:19 AM

Welcome from Adrian, MI ~ You just enjoy a true working machine, I own 38 machines and yes I have named all of them and talk to all of them as well. You could set each one up for different phases of your projects:)

QuiltnNan 04-24-2013 02:41 AM

Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting :)

Sunnie 04-24-2013 03:22 AM

Welcome form Pennsylvania. Interesting how each of us arrives at our addiction.

SueDor 04-24-2013 04:19 AM

Hi from Ohio! Just admit your addicted to machines and you can't re-home them. Eventually you may if you hear of someone who needs a machine.

Abby'smom 04-24-2013 05:00 AM

:) welcome from se TX

Yosamitesa 04-24-2013 09:00 AM

WELCOME!!! Re-home...honey you already re-homed them...when you brought them to your house!!! :) When the time is right for them to move on to their next place, you will know! :)