Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   new guy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-guy-t307746.html)

granky 10-31-2019 04:46 AM

Welcome from Southern Indiana!...seems you have what is needed to make a quilt...a sewing machine and the itch to sew. Sewing a straight seam would be a plus....good luck! and remember to post pictures!

SusieQOH 10-31-2019 05:44 AM

Hi Frodo- go to Youtube. It will become your new best friend. They have videos on every aspect of sewing and quilting you could ever want!!
Your machine is beautiful!

sewbizgirl 10-31-2019 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench (Post 8320627)
I think that what sewbizgirl meant to say is that the knob is for the stitch length. She is correct that only later 66 models had the option to reverse (which is a lever rather than a knob). Your machine is a straight forward stitch only machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Oops! You're right!

juliasb 10-31-2019 07:46 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! There are so many vintage machine lovers here that I am sure someone here will be able to help you out. Your machine is beautiful. Your best bet would be to start with the manual that explains the threading for this singer. It surprises me that a brother machine motor works well. So often parts are not interchangeable. I dabble with vintage and antique machines but certainly am no pro.

QuiltingLadyRainey 10-31-2019 09:09 AM

Welcome! I wish I could help you but not much knowledge on the vintage side. Good luck! The machine looks beautiful.

osewme 10-31-2019 09:35 AM

Welcome from Texas. Quilting is a hobby so don't put unnecessary stress on yourself by being in a rush to learn. You can find tons of sites on the web that can get you started. Maybe google "Quilting 101" to get a feel for the quilting terms & basic instructions. This quilting board is full of very talented quilters who are ready & willing to help with any questions you might have. Take your time, have fun & enjoy the process!

leonf 11-07-2019 09:36 AM

Frodo, that access plate over the Brother motor will let you oil more places, if you haven't been there yet. Nothing jumps out. Have you oiled behind the face plate, too.

That paint and the decals will pop into a bigger beauty if you gently rub them down with sewing machine oil.

leonf 11-07-2019 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619390[/ATTACH]

The knurled ring around the stud ( blue) is the top tension adjustment. It truly is a ring that binds them.

The discs can be cleaned by lifting the presser foot to release tension on them and then swiping cloth between them. Adding the tension back can be the final step.

“Sam: I wonder if we'll ever be put into songs or tales. Frodo: [turns around] What? Sam: I wonder if people will ever say, 'Let's hear about Frodo and the Ring.' And they'll say 'Yes, that's one of my favorite stories. Frodo was really courageous, wasn't he, Dad?