Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New here, New to quilting, with a New Bernina 350! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-here-new-quilting-new-bernina-350-a-t245391.html)

adamleefreeman 04-18-2014 11:49 AM

New here, New to quilting, with a New Bernina 350!

I can actually claim "new-ness" at several levels of description, so here goes:

New to....
1. this cool-looking forum
2. quilting - in any way, shape, or form
3. a brand-new Bernina 350PE sewing entertainment center
4. being 50 years old, and being the "younger" one (my wife is almost exactly a year older!)
5. machine sewing - never!!!!! How cool is that?

So I obviously got my wish granted at my 50th b-day - instead of a mid-life-crisis Ferrari, my awesome wife bought me a sewing machine to encourage my long-standing interest in the quilting/crafting hobby! I am going to be getting into summer quilting/sewing classes to support my new interest.

Alright. My intro is done! I will be back - with plenty of Q's I'm sure!

Adam

Misty's Mom 04-18-2014 11:53 AM

Welcome from Texas. You'll find that this is a great group with a wealth of information and experience.

nanacc 04-18-2014 12:11 PM

Another welcome from Texas! Have fun!

auntpiggylpn 04-18-2014 02:47 PM

Welcome from Michigan!

Tartan 04-18-2014 02:47 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Congratulations on beginning your quilting adventure and owning your first Bernina!

M.Elizabeth 04-18-2014 04:15 PM

Congratulations on your new machine, and welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC. You will thoroughly enjoy this site and learn much.

Doggramma 04-18-2014 05:06 PM

Hi from Wisconsin! Have fun on your new quilting adventure

barny 04-18-2014 05:12 PM

Hello, and we're glad to have you join us. There are a lot of good people on here to answer your questions. So fire away!

Thumbelina 04-18-2014 05:58 PM

Welcome from NE Ohio, glad to have you on board.

adamleefreeman 04-19-2014 03:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, thank you all for your kind words of welcome. It sounds like y'all are accepting of new folks who don't know a darn thing about quilting - and that would be me!!
I took a few pics of my very first day (yesterday) getting to know my Bernina 350PE. What I did, was to just very methodically read through the user's guide/instruction manual until I felt confident enough to "break it out of the box" and get sewing. After I taught myself how to wind a bobbin, insert a bobbin case into the machine, thread the upper thread spool, and thread the needle I played around with some random programs.
The results: well, I was blown away! Not only was I able to quickly understand how to program built-in stitch patterns with ease, but I also figured out how to use the memory to program alphabetical text. Way fun - and way cool for a "newbie" like me - to experience some success, instead of "epic failure" on my first venture!
Just a few simple experiments with what my Bernina can do - and how to use the machine - and I felt the confidence which will definitely get me "hooked" on my pursuit of learning how to quilt. Way, way fun! I am very happy that my wife surprised me with my new sewing machine. (PS....she is a knitter - has not used a sewing machine, nor had an interest, since she was a kid in grade school. Although she and her sisters are awesome knitters in their own right, maybe I will finally have something in the crafts department I can do alongside/complimentary with their work!)

Take care.
Adam
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472245[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]472246[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]472247[/ATTACH]