Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New from Maine w/ a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-maine-w-question-t39809.html)

gazelle 03-17-2010 06:32 AM

Hello! Just joined and like what I see! I consider myself experienced quilter and a learner :) I have a question. My 85-yr old mother saw some fabric I was using in a quilt and she mentioned that she would like a whole quilt made with that single fabric! She didn't want it cut and re-sewed in blocks, just one whole top with that fabric. I've never heard of it, but see from online searching that there might be some who have done that. Has anyone ever made a quilt from one fabric that you only sew together to get the width you need (queen)? If so, what hints can you give me, or any sites where I can read up on it and what's the best way to proceed? I'd like to surprise her with a quilt made from that pretty fabric. Thanking you in advance.

GrannyW5 03-17-2010 06:45 AM

Hello from NY. I am also new to this site and love what I see. I have already quilted whole quilts like that. I have drawn the pattern on the top and then hand quilted it. It is interesting getting everything centered, but turned out beautiful

MamaBear61 03-17-2010 07:51 AM

Hello and welcome from Ontario. I think what you are thinking of is known as a whole cloth quilt were the quilting design gives it it's personality rather than the piecing. I am sure that someone here can give you some great suggestions how to make it work

dkabasketlady 03-17-2010 08:11 AM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida! It sounds like your DM wants a quilt with one solid piece of fabric, but could you put borders around it to look more like a quilt than a duvet cover?

GrannyW5 03-17-2010 08:29 AM

When I did it, I put points around a couple of them. I made 5 of them. I put real narrow borders on the others.

GrannyW5 03-17-2010 08:34 AM

Yes, Mamma Bear, They are the whole cloth quilts. I have many relatives in Canada (actually around your area and Wellesley) and I had a couple of the quilts marked by someone there and then I copied the pattern and marked my own the next time. The quilting does make the quilt.

Quilt4u 03-17-2010 08:37 AM

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome from MA.

littlehud 03-17-2010 08:47 AM

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here. I see you already have your answer. Have fun with it and share a pic when done.

MaryStoaks 03-17-2010 10:39 AM

Welcome from Calif. A friend of mine once wanted a whole cloth comforter made with the same fabric as her sheets, it was a pretty pansey pattern. I layered a pair of flat sheets like hers with 2 poly battings and tied it instead of quilting. I bound it with fabric from my stash. She was thrilled, just what she wanted. It was quick and easy.

Jim's Gem 03-17-2010 10:50 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California.
Looks like you have gotten some help.