Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New from Pa. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-pa-t2594.html)

JUNEBUG 10-04-2007 09:05 AM

Hello everyone - I just joined, but have been reading all the friendly replies to questions for quite some time. I live in Pennsylvania where the leaves will soon be changing, my favorite time of the year. I have been quilting for about 5 years I took a class to make a table runner and that is how it all started. I just finished a king size top in the Sunshine and Shadow pattern there are 1200 2 1/2 inch squares. Lucky enough to live not far from Lancaster Amish Country and was able to get all the fabric in their traditional colors. All squares were cut, 1/4" marked and sewed by hand I just can't wait for the time to get it on the frame. I don't know how to piece on a machine yet. Anyhow enough about me - I am just glad to be able to join such a friendly group of quilters. I have a question already - I have made a few rag quilts and really do not like the way the boarders are just so floppy 6 1/2 squares with 5" batting. Has anyone ever put binding around the edges? Hope everyone who reads this has a nice day. Jane

PamH 10-04-2007 09:50 AM

Welcome Jane,
I live in Missouri and today it's about 90 so it doesn't feel much like fall here.
I haven't been here to long but I have found this is a great group to have joined. All are very helpful, friendly, and we love to see pictures. Please post some of your work. I'm work on my 7 week old grandddaughters rag quilt. This is my first rag quilt, so far it is going together great.
Welcome again :lol: :lol:

bj 10-04-2007 09:59 AM

Hi Jane. Welcome to the gang. We're glad to have you. I live on the South Plains of Texas. Not too hot here...great football weather. I have done a rag quilt I bound, but I didn't like that as much as clipping the outside edges and letting them "rag" out too. I just sewed all the way around the edge the same distance in as my seam allowances between the squares and then clipped pretty close to the stitching. I've made 5 rag quilts: 3 flannel and 2 homespun. I clipped the edges on all but that one.

Jenny3244 10-05-2007 09:20 AM

Hi, I'm new also (and from PA too). I have made a few flannel rag quilts. I don't like the idea of having the fringe on the edges, so I have always put on a traditional binding. It looks great and your face doesn't tickle.
This is my first reply, I hope your find you way around the site better than I have. I guess it take practice and time (same as quilting!)

mic-pa 10-05-2007 11:38 AM

Welcome Junebug from another Pennsylvania quilter. Where are you from in Pa. Lots of good information here. Someone always knows the answer to those questions. Marge

live2teach 10-05-2007 10:11 PM

Hi, Jane and Jenny! Welcome to the board! Feel free to jump right in and post any pictures, comments or questions you have! Binding would be a different and good idea. I have made 2 so far, I personally like the raggedy edges, but that is just me.