Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New to Quilting Board - Hi! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-quilting-board-hi-t176000.html)

Rubesgirl 01-17-2012 01:01 PM

New to Quilting Board - Hi!

Hi Y'all!

I'm from Hampton Roads, VA and a novice quilter. I started sewing about 50 years ago and have made everything from bathing suits to bridal wear, but only one quilt, many years ago. I got interested again recently when I went into my local quilt/fabric shop and saw a class for a sampler. Thought I'd give it a go . . . how hard could it be??? Let me tell you, it was so much more difficult to keep within the 1/4" seam allowance than sewing any garment I'd ever made! I have to admire those of you who do such magnificent work! I made the sampler and am now taking another class, but in between I made a quilt for my grandson and a Christmas runner for my table. I'm not too bad at stitch-in-the-ditch, but am terrible at free-motion quilting. My daughter, who does not sew (in spite of my encouragement over the years), asked me to make a quilt for her, so that is in the works as well. I also create stained glass art. I love working with color, so quilting ties right in to something I've done for a long time.

Oh, yes . . . I'm a wife, retired paralegal, homemaker, mother of a fabulous daughter and the most beautiful 2 year old grandson who ever lived (I'm sure there's some bias in there somewhere;)). I'm originally from Washington, DC and moved to this area about 10 years ago. My husband is retired Navy and has 20+ years on one of the local police departments, now. We live in the country, but not too far from a major city.

I hope that I will learn a lot from the members this board and look forward to sewing many new projects.

Happy quilting! Rubesgirl :)

gollytwo 01-17-2012 01:17 PM

Greetings and welcome from New Hampshire

KarenK 01-17-2012 02:28 PM

Welcome to the Board from Minnesota!

lfstamper 01-17-2012 02:30 PM

Big wave from Texas. I can relate to the 1/4" seam issue. I used to sew garments as well and they are a lot more forgiving than any quilt I have made. Quilting is more fun for me. Good luck.

ShowMama 01-17-2012 02:55 PM

Hi, and welcome to the board, from Central Texas.

QuiltnNan 01-17-2012 04:46 PM

Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting :)

cowgirlquilter 01-17-2012 07:33 PM

Welcome from the heart of wine country!

mrsponcho1 01-17-2012 07:35 PM

Hello and welcome from southeastern Oklahoma. Come on and pull up a chair. Lots of activity on this board.

barny 01-17-2012 07:37 PM

Hello and welcome from Dallas Tx.

Wine Woman 01-17-2012 07:43 PM

Welcome from Sherwood, OR. This is such a wonderful place to be- a lot of wonderful people who are very willing to share their knowledge with you. You have come to a wonderful place. Just one warning though-be careful the board is VERY addicting!