Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New to Quilting Board from South Central Wisconsin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-quilting-board-south-central-wisconsin-t204896.html)

aab007 11-02-2012 09:04 AM

New to Quilting Board from South Central Wisconsin

I've been quilting since I was old enough to hold a needle. My mother was an accomplished quilter, and I learned to quilt from her. She set up her quilts on a frame in the dining room (with the table pushed up against the wall) and each of us girls (3 daughters) had our own needle and would take a few stitches as our schedules allowed. I haven't done much for the past 30 years because of the demands of raising a family, a full-time job, and limited space. I have recently retired and moved to a larger house (a long story there) and am now devoting more of my time to things I love to do, including quilting. Over the years I have made a few quilts, a lot of lap-throw sized projects, and now have 7 full-sized quilt tops that I haven't in the past been able to face wrestling through my sewing machine. While I have done a few stitch-in-the ditch projects this way, I find anything more elaborate intimidating and exhausting. I have tried out a few free-motion machines with frames and recently tried the new Baby Lock sit-down system at Nancy's Notions in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. I really want to be able to quilt my own tops. I just don't feel like it is my creation if I pay someone else to do the quilting. I love putting the fabrics together, the feel of the fabric, the way the colors play off of each other. Now, I would love the feel of completing the project by doing the actual quilting, as well. Does anyone have any advice on a system that won't break the bank? I don't have the funds or the space for a Gammill. I'd like something that costs under $5000 and would fit in a standard bedroom-sized room.

Tartan 11-02-2012 09:43 AM

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

QuiltnNan 11-02-2012 11:40 AM

Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting :)
I have a Hinterberg stretch frame. you buy the poles separately. i only had room for 9.5 feet and i have quilted a king sized quilt on it [with a little creativity]

Neesie 11-02-2012 12:09 PM

Welcome, from Texas!

hearthhush 11-02-2012 12:13 PM

Welcome from Louisiana. You have found a great place here on this board.

Janet L52 11-02-2012 08:20 PM

Welcome from northern California!

Lori B. 11-03-2012 04:25 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

Lakeview Quilting 11-03-2012 04:56 AM

Hello, welcome from Oklahoma!!!

akisan 11-03-2012 05:02 AM

welcome from Washington

DogHouseMom 11-03-2012 05:33 AM

Welcome from Illinois.

The HQ Sweet 16 is another sit down machine and the last quote I had (last month) came in at just under $5K for the machine and the table with the extra extension on the left side. The Baby Lock Tiara that you tried is actually the HQ Sweet 16 re-badged for Baby Lock - but cost just a tad more. So if you liked that, you will like the HQ.

The quote that I have is from the main office in Utah but she told me there was a dealer in Rockford Il that might even be closer to you.

I LOVED both of the machines and I seriously want one. I'm wrestling with *justifying* a machine that ONLY quilts. The more people write about these two machines, the closer I get to justification!!