Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   A NEW QUILTING BUDDY LOL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-quilting-buddy-lol-t4153.html)

carolkeup 01-20-2008 02:55 PM

Hi 2 all. I am 48 yrs old and drove a big truck over the road for 13 yrs, until I fractured hip and the other one about to break. Anyway had the 1st one replaced and 10 months later had the other one replaced. Then 4 months my right hand messed up, so had to have it rebuilt and put back together with staples. Needless to say I am now disabled. I am new to quilting and having problems. I have a bernina embroidery machine that will whip out some great things, but to tell the story, I bought a large piece fabric to practice on my embroidery and low and behold my 4 yr old grandson walked in, picked it up rapped up in it and said "THIS IS MINE" so I ended up cutting it up in squares, buying more fabric, cutting it up, embroidered it all a full size quilt top. It has family tree with birthdays and every kind of horse, motorcycle and you name it. Anyway the top came out great but when it came to quilting my sewing machine said to itself you can't do this. So now I am looking for a machine that is not a brother from walmart. Can anyone suggest a good machine for this purpose.

Moonpi 01-20-2008 06:10 PM

Welcome! Up above is a search feature, lots of threads on what people like and don't about their machines. It's kind of a personal decision. Try them out and see which one fits you. Don't be afraid to bring in your own fabric and batting to practice on.

If you find one you love, but can't quite afford, do some online pricing. A lot depends on your price range. I got a good all purpose machine on sale for $239 just before Christmas, but some with lots of features and wonderful bells and whistles can cost thousands. You may be able to find one used if you have time and determination . The used ones in my area tend to be pretty beat, but I still stop in the shop now and then "just in case"

cutebuns 01-20-2008 07:31 PM

Stay away from Wal-Mart for your sewing machines. I am familiar with the ones that it sells in Canada adn they are not worth it. Get a list of what you are looking for and price range that you are willing to spend. Most shops have a hands on unlike Wal-mart. find one that is comfortable and user friendly. Mostly I have brother, janome and phaff and all work well. the shop will also be able to help you if you get stuck, some even give free lessons if you buy the machine from them.
One shop I deal with here also has good used ones that they guarentee themselves.

Moonpi 01-20-2008 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Ask several machine repairmen which machines are best- they can tell you the ones that are junk and the ones worth having. Then go shopping!

I did this, and without exception, they named the brand they were selling, and bad-mouthed all others. Sewing machine salesmen are like used car dealers - they live by commissions and will sweet-talk you just as far as you will let them.

I ended up with a Kenmore, on sale for almost a third off, same as Janome which would have cost nearly double. Ask if they match prices, too - in case you can find it cheaper online.