Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   new at quilting...from Columbus, Ohio (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-quilting-columbus-ohio-t226073.html)

gobucks7 07-18-2013 01:27 PM

new at quilting...from Columbus, Ohio

Hi, My name is Margaret...I am 50 years old, on disability, and bored......I cross-stitched for years and still do. I have been curious about quilting for years but was always afraid to try....Well, I am no longer able to work and have lots of free time (when my pain isn't severe) and I am so ready to start quilting. I took sewing classes years ago. Bought a sewing machine years ago with my bingo winnings. Finally took it out of the box last week. So from all you experts, I have a few questions.....1.) any ideas on patters to start with? 2.) what supplies do I need to purchase before I begin??? Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get started

Cyn 07-18-2013 01:49 PM

Welcome! Get a good book with simple patterns like 4 patch or fence rail and just start :) Have fun!

QuiltnLady1 07-18-2013 01:50 PM

You need a rotary cutter (start with the 35mm), a cutting mat (best starter mat is 18x24 or larger -- what fits in your space and you can afford), a ruler (my LQS owner says if you get one ruler get the 6x24 or 8.5x24 since you can cut most everything with them -- I prefer the green or frosted white ruler). I would also get pins (long, flat head), a good iron if you don't have one, some spray starch (a lot of discussions here on the board about using Best Press which is expensive to making your own -- I mix up StaFlo liquid) and Fabric (either buy new or go to a thrift store and get used clothes in good condition) -- choose a color palet that is pleasing to you so you enjoy workign with the fabric. Joanns has sales on most of the tools from time to time -- 40-50% off helps the budget a lot.

Simple patterns are the 4 patch and the 9 patch. Practice doing the 1/4" seam. Log cabin is a bit more complicated but a lot of folks have made this as their first quilt.

mighty 07-18-2013 02:39 PM

Welcome from S CA!

Misty's Mom 07-18-2013 02:41 PM

Welcome from Spring, TX

Tartan 07-18-2013 03:09 PM

.Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Check out the youtube video done by Jenny Doan for the Missouri Star Quilt Company. Tehy will give you some ideas to start with. A beginner class at a local quilt shop is another good way to get started.

NJ Quilter 07-18-2013 03:18 PM

I agree with QuiltnLady1 on the supply list. I'd probably go for a 45mm rotary cutter, and if you can find one, I'd suggest an 8.5 x 24 in. ruler. When you are supply shopping (best deal usually JoAnn's with coupons), pick up some fabrics that the colors appeal to you. Doesn't matter if you have a pattern in mind or not - just find some bolts of fabrics with colors you like. Then place the ruler you think you like on top of those colors and see how easy it is or is not to read on those colors. More than likely, you'll return to those colors over time in some way or another. Pick some dark and light colors and check the ruler again for ease of reading. What color combinations on rulers work for one person may not be so easy for someone else. Take a look at some books/magazines while you're there. Start out with a table runner or lap quilt so you're not so overwhelmed with something huge.

Enjoy the process. It's not a race.

suebee 07-18-2013 04:02 PM

Hello Margaret and welcome...Is there any way you could possibly take a class on beginning quilting? that would be so helpful to you. Thats how I started and I was sooooooooo glad I did. Good luck and happy quilting.

J Carol 07-18-2013 04:29 PM

Welcome from Adrian, MI

JenniePenny 07-18-2013 04:39 PM

Hello and welcome to the board from New Hampshire.