Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New to Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-quilting-t315854.html)

Ladymoon 07-13-2021 01:36 PM

New to Quilting

Hi there. I'm new to quilting and to this group. I have made one baby quilt. Just started making a t shirt quilt for my daughter and am struggling. I'm looking for a hobby and really do enjoy this.

ekuw 07-13-2021 02:08 PM

Welcome! You'll find lots of good information/help here. Very ambitious of you to make a T-shirt quilt on your second try. I have made exactly one and I did not enjoy it.

Ladymoon 07-13-2021 02:57 PM

So far it's been a struggle. Right now I am having trouble sewing the t shirt blocks . They have an interfacing and it won't glide.

Tartan 07-13-2021 04:14 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. 🇨🇦

Quiltwoman44 07-14-2021 08:01 AM

you can put paper beneath your fabric and then tear it out later. small stitches will stay put, just put one finger next to stitches and tear, move and tear. Have fun.

juliasb 07-14-2021 08:19 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! You will get a lot of support here and a whole lot of tips and friendship. Personal experience is what I am going on. Jump right in and begin to learn a whole lot and make many quilt friends. Again welcome aboard.

Ladymoon 07-14-2021 08:34 AM

Thank you quiltwoman44. That is very helpful. Is there a certain kind of paper I should use?

Iceblossom 07-14-2021 11:07 AM

Welcome aboard Ladymoon, t-shirt quilts are such wonderful gifts but many of us don't enjoy making them. Good for you, I hope it turns out to be a wonderful experience -- but remember, if it isn't, not all quilts are t-shirt quilts :)

When I need a lightweight paper, and I will draw my quilting designs on it and quilt right through everything, is parchment paper from the dollar store, a 1x25' roll for a dollar!

If you still have phone books or a stack of old catalogs those work. So does cheap "newsprint" paper you can get at office supply places too.

I'm still waving from a safe personal space near Seattle -- but my mask is off!

Ladymoon 07-14-2021 12:41 PM

Thank you iceblossom. I appreciate the feed back. I'm not gonna lie, I currently am not enjoy this quilt. But am being optimistic that once I get the kinks worked out I will soon enjoy it. 😉

osewme 07-14-2021 12:47 PM

Welcome to the boards. Sorry you are having a hard time with the T-shirt quilt. My DD is a massage therapist & she gave me a whole box of "face cradle" paper that I use when I need the fabrics to slip on my machine. I also use it for paper piecing (which I love to see but do not like to make). It's a very thin paper & tears off easily. Any thin paper will do..just use what's available to you. We use a toilet tissue that has the rolls individually wrapped in a tissue paper & I've even saved some of that for times like this. (I haven't used it yet but I'm sure it will work great). Or even cheap tissue paper at a Dollar Tree or Dollar Store would work also.