Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New to the Quilting World, need some help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-quilting-world-need-some-help-t320108.html)

Stefchu1 02-16-2023 08:32 AM

New to the Quilting World, need some help

Good morning,
I received a hand stitched quilt that my Great Grandmother made from the dresses of my Grandmother and Great Aunts dresses when they were children.

I recently moved into a new home and am creating a gallery wall with this quilt as the center piece. It is the size of a queen bed quilt. I would like to frame it but am running into road blocks. I cant find anyone to frame it or DYI information on YouTube or Google.

Does anyone in the group have any suggestions?

farmquilter 02-16-2023 10:18 AM

Do a search using--how to hang a large quilt on the wall and you will find some help there.
Welcome to the board and show us a photo when you have it hanging.

Stefchu1 02-16-2023 10:35 AM

Thank you will do

Stefchu1 02-16-2023 02:37 PM

Did a search on how to hang a quilt on the wall. However, it's the same information that was coming up in all my searches.

I want to have it framed behind glass or acrylic, not hanging out in the open on a hanger.

Any suggestions

osewme 02-16-2023 03:18 PM

Welcome to the quilting board from Texas! I just did a web search by asking..."Can a quilt be framed under glass" and came up with a lot of sites that you can visit. Sounds like a very important factor is that you do not want the quilt to touch the glass/plexiglass in order to create some breathing space for the quilt. Good luck with this project that you are wanting to tackle & we would love to see the quilt.

Stefchu1 02-16-2023 03:35 PM

Thank you so much will research it and let you know

aashley333 02-17-2023 04:40 AM

Welcome!
Have you tried Hobby Lobby's framing department, or a framing business? I thing the glass piece to cover the quilt would be fragile. I work with stained glass, and anything that big would require much reinforcement. I recently hung 2 quilts on the wall with a wooden system ordered on Amazon. Possibly cover with clear vinyl(?).

Stefchu1 02-17-2023 05:16 AM

Thank you for the feedback.
I'm leaning towards possibly a wooden hangar top and encasing in two sheets of acrylic and creating a floating frame.

I have some more research to do before deciding if that's the way I want to go

cashs_mom 02-17-2023 09:17 AM

I searched how to hang a large quilt on a wall and came up with a ton of videos. If you are wanting to encase it in plexiglass, be aware of the weight involved. You'll need stronger support that just a quilt.

And if you are only finding a few ways to hang it, it may be that those are the ones that have worked best for people.

Stefchu1 02-17-2023 09:28 AM

Thank you cashs_mom, you are correct there is a ton of information out there on how to hang one.

Unfortunately none of the information is about encasing one in something and hanging it on a wall