Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Newbie, needing advice on colour arrangement (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/newbie-needing-advice-colour-arrangement-t320126.html)

ArleneWalsh 02-19-2023 04:47 AM

Newbie, needing advice on colour arrangement

Hi all
I am new to this group and am needing suggestions on how to arrange the pieces in the quilt I am making. It is a quilt of 12 squares, each square consisting of 4 small squares. These are to be constructed using rectangular 'logs', arranged 3 vertically, 3 horizontally, etc.

Should I aim to have the same sequence of colours in all 12 larger squares, or should I just arrange the 'logs' randomnly, in terms of colour?

toverly 02-19-2023 04:55 AM

That's your preference. It helps to have a design wall or an open floor to see which way you like better. I like scrappy, randomly placed but, you may prefer organized pattern.

Barb in Louisiana 02-19-2023 07:23 AM

I am an organized person with color. Scrappy, randomly placed just doesn't work for me. Search for Rail Fence quilts and you will see different kinds of layouts with color. The pictures help me a lot to define my color style. https://www.bing.com/search?q=Rail+f...&ghacc=0&ghpl=

Since all of your sub blocks will be 6.5 inches square before sewing them into the larger 12.5 unfinished blocks, I would not sew them into 12.5 inch blocks. That will give you a lot more design freedom by placing them how you think you want them and moving them if they don't work for your design style. After you decide how you want the overall look, then make your 12.5 inch blocks. Hope I haven't confused you.

ArleneWalsh 02-21-2023 01:51 AM

Thanks. I have sketched out the 'shape' and am playing with ideas for the arrangement of the pieces. Will lay them out on a carpet to get the full effect, and if necessary, re-organise prior to stitching.

Rebaquilts 03-01-2023 06:56 AM

Welcome to the board also! EQ8 Electric Quilt software is also a cool way to play with block placement. Congrats on making this fun quilt!

Quiltwoman44 05-16-2023 06:28 AM

gaming- NOT!! we are quilters only!

SueZQ from MN 05-16-2023 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 (Post 8601452)
gaming- NOT!! we are quilters only!

Yes we share a common interest in quilting, but we are gardeners, chefs, office workers, teachers, professionals, and full time parents and grandparents that have a variety of interests and participate in a number of hobbies and skills besides quilting.

Iceblossom 08-27-2023 09:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the boards! I've just recently come back after a moving hiatus.

I find the my queen sized bed is my largest work surface and I am able to move around it easier than getting up and down from the floor... can be challenging on a queen sized quilt but is usually great for smaller projects. I didn't have the floor space anyway to layout a large quilt without a whole lot of moving things around.

There are infinite ways to arrange fabric: random, alternating light/dark, diagonally, stripes whether vertical or horizontal, darker (or lighter) on the outside and then the center the opposite,or just color grading top to bottom... plus for some of us OCD types with a lot of different fabrics whether duplicates/multiples are "too close" or not... (what "too close" means is a personal decision and no matter what I think at the time, something usually ends up too close anyway)

In my years of scrap quilting I find that if I go for "that works" I can achieve it better than striving for perfection. Perfection can be achieved but for me it comes at a cost of lots of time and cost and fabric and it usually isn't that much better than "that works".

While I'm piecing the blocks I often get an idea of what effect I want to achieve. Other times I am at a complete loss so I come here and post pictures of alternate layouts! What I do is give myself a time limit like 30 minutes to 2 hours to play around until I have something I think I'm pleased with, then I shut the door and do other things for half an hour. After the break I then open the door and see if anything jumps out at me as being "wrong". I find that if I try moving things at this point I often create more problems than I solve and often end up back to where I began. Sometimes though something will jump out at me and it is well worth the rearranging. Again, I set myself a time limit because otherwise (for me at least) there is no end to the fiddling and what ifs.

Then I mark each block with a paper number and safety pin. No matter how careful I try to be if I don't have the number in the top left corner I always end up joining some of the blocks wrong.

These two quilts were made from the same projects. In the larger "Mayflower" design they were roughly light/dark. In the smaller "Broken Dishes" scraps used from the Mayflower blocks were diagonally color sorted. Exact same fabrics, very different looks.