Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Newbie Needs Help Finishing Grandma's Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/newbie-needs-help-finishing-grandmas-quilt-t124776.html)

Jim's Gem 05-21-2011 07:57 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!

heather1949 05-22-2011 02:02 AM

Hi and welcome to the board from Victoria,Australia.

hopetoquilt 05-22-2011 02:18 AM

I saw the pix. You have a couple of choices. You could keep it as is and make it a lap quilt or make it bigger. It is beautiful. I am not saying you should shy away from it. I just think you should do some practice on other pieces before you tackle the GFG. If you are not to "into" the baskets, you could make that into a pillow. You could also make it a center piece or part of a sampler quilt. I might make it the first block in a sampler quilt.

noveltyjunkie 05-22-2011 03:58 AM

I love that quilt! I hope someone can advise you on borders etc- I am not too good on that stuff, but it looks close enough to finished to me!

SueDor 05-22-2011 04:37 AM

Hi from Ohio! As for the age of the material, If it hasn't been in the sun or been overly cold, it should be ok. I had an old quilt from my grandmothers that I finished and yes I did hand sew the blocks because I think that is what she had done. It was blocks with lots of points and at that time I didn't know a thing about sewing pointy pieces. I did use the sewing machine to putnthem in rows and then quilt it. I am happy to say that my mother got to see it before she died. She was thrilled, so I can only hope that my grandmother would have been.

Lori B. 05-22-2011 04:58 AM

Welcome from Michigan.:)

CarrieAnne 05-22-2011 05:36 AM

welcome!

sik1010 05-22-2011 05:57 AM

Hello, and another Michigan welcome!

amma 05-22-2011 07:20 AM

Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D
Many only hand sew the Grandmothers Flower Garden blocks, but our head Mod PatriceJ put together a wonderful class/tutorial on how to machine sew them. This is in the tutorial section of the board.

delaneywins 05-23-2011 07:38 AM

I might try to make the basket pieces into a small throw quilt for my mom since I'm not wild about the pattern. I know she'd love it (regardless of the pattern) since it was something her Grandma started. One of my friends mentioned that Michael's might have quilting classes, so I think I might take a few of those so I can get the feel of things before I attempt the GFG.

I'm really excited to start on these projects. Rarely does one quilt span the gap of four generations! My Grandpa passed away last January just a few months after my Great Grandma (his mom) so I think I'll get some fabric that reminds me of him and my Great Grandma for some of the pieces. I have a feeling that when I finally DO complete the GFG it will be my favorite blanket of all time. :D