Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Noob from NH checking in (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/noob-nh-checking-t209389.html)

Teeler 12-27-2012 10:44 AM

Noob from NH checking in

I just found this board, and think I'll hang my hat here a while since this seems like a nice "busy" board!

I'm not new to sewing, but still consider myself a 'novice' in the arena (have sewn 'easy' clothing patterns, and craft patterns, but shy away from difficult fabrics and patterns). I am totally new to quilting- so new that I had to bookmark a "Quilting Glossary of Terms" recently to figure out what "squaring up" and "FQ" meant. I'm pretty sure I never entirely knew how to regulate the tension on my 25+ y/o Kenmore 385 machine that I bought when I graduated HS, and half the time, I can't tell which side of the fabric is the right side (no, I'm not a complete moron, but it CAN be difficult with certain fabrics- unless there's a trick to recognizing it that I don't yet know about!)

I floundered my way through a quilt for a friend recently (one of those "this is meant to be viewed from a distance" varieties), and although it came out "ok," I prefer to know what I'm doing, so I went out and bought a new pair of scissors (OMG they cut like BUTTER!), a smallish cutting mat, and a few other essentials. I'm sending my machine in for a tune-up this week.

I was most impressed recently with some YouTube videos on the nifty techniques that quilters use in 2012: quilting as you go, a really cool curved tying needle, and some other neat tricks. I am not out to build masterpieces or anything real intricate, and I have NO time or desire to hand-stitch (although I admire those who do!). I'm just looking to make pretty quilts to give away/make for fun.

Anyway, enough blather about all that; suffice it to say that I'm looking to find tips and tricks and make my way around this wonderful world of quilting!

Oh, and a quick "hey!" to Jennie and GollyToo, since I stalked you NH-ites already :)

Joset 12-27-2012 10:49 AM

welcome, from north dakota. you will get lots of good advice on the qb

Tartan 12-27-2012 10:52 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. You might enjoy the videos from the Missouri Star Quilt Co.

lfstamper 12-27-2012 10:53 AM

welcome from Tx!

Teeler 12-27-2012 10:55 AM

LOL, Tartan- She was one of the gals that I saw on YouTube, and I bookmarked her!

Jammin' Jane 12-27-2012 12:35 PM

Hello Teeler!
Welcome from Minnesota! :)

pinecone 12-27-2012 12:52 PM

Welcome to the board! You will learn much from here, I have.

Originally Posted by Teeler (Post 5743466)
...Oh, and a quick "hey!" to Jennie and GollyToo, since I stalked you NH-ites already :)

How far from Keepsake Quilting are you? Love their tent sale.

piney

ann clare 12-27-2012 12:57 PM

Welcome from Ireland

nygal 12-27-2012 01:08 PM

Hello and welcome from New York. You will love it here. The boards are the busiest I've ever come across.

Crqltr 12-27-2012 01:32 PM

Welcome from michigan!