Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Old Newbie? Been evesdropping for months (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/old-newbie-been-evesdropping-months-t1381.html)

in2stitchin 07-07-2007 02:08 PM

I'm from KC and have been quilting for 35 years. I'm married to a wonderful man forever and he supports my 'habit'. My fabric stash is embarrassing (HUGE) and I have enough UFO's to start my own solar system. I'm a lone quilter except for my kitty (who believes I am incapable of doing this without her) and many of you whom I've gotten to know a little just by reading your posts.

I make utility quilts meant for over the bed or under a picnic basket. For years I quilted everything by hand but for the past 2 years I've been machine quilting on a Beline frame.

I'll learn how to post pics soon but in the meantime, has anyone thought of starting a "thread" about "Lessons learned the hard way"? For example, I love all the new rotary cutting rulers and templates but learned the hard way not to change rulers in the middle of cutting a project *duh*

ShellyQ 07-07-2007 04:23 PM

Great to meet you, now you can chatt as well as evesdrop :) Haven't been here that long myself but have found everyone to be very friendly, open and helpful.

Like your idea about the thread but I would end up writing a book, don't think I've learned any other way except the hard way :oops: :lol:
Like the time I used a polished chintz from my Grandma's stash to back a quilt, broke 17 needles hand quilting that thing :lol: but I beat it in the end.

Anyhow, great to have you on board, will look forward to seeing your pics :)

in2stitchin 07-07-2007 06:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the welcome!

Ok, I'm trying to post pics .... if it works, I'll send more another time.

Her parents wedding quilt

P.S. Hope these aren't too big ... still learning here.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]658[/ATTACH]

A baby quilt I turned into a twin quilt when it got a bit out of control
[ATTACH=CONFIG]659[/ATTACH]

Made for a teen great neice
[ATTACH=CONFIG]660[/ATTACH]

in2stitchin 07-07-2007 06:20 PM

Oops, sorry ... I should have rotated them *duh*

ccbear66 07-07-2007 06:42 PM

Welcome. I am also from Missouri, a small town about 60 miles east of KC called Knob Noster.
Your quilts are great keep up the good work. I'm new to quilting and now am just making the tops and having them machine quilted by someone else, maybe some day after I retire I'll have the time to try and quilt my own.

ShellyQ 07-07-2007 07:53 PM

LOL never mind, can still see them fine. They're lovely, especially love your drunkards path in the two tones of teal. That is on my ever growing to do list. Thanks for sharing them. :)

in2stitchin 07-07-2007 08:12 PM

I finally broke down a couple of years ago and asked for a frame and third machine so I could quilt my own. (NOT the twenty to thirty thousand version) Our investment totaled about $3,000. Since then I have quilted many, many quilts. I can do one (with lots of breaks) that is queen size (see the pic of the drunkards path) in about 3 days.

Thanks for the posts *s*

in2stitchin 07-07-2007 08:17 PM

Thanks Shelly, the drunkard's path is queen size and my first attempt at piecing curves. I made this before I got my nifty acrilic cutting template so I used a pizza pan! LOL

Also, the colors didn't come out good in the pics. The colors were more dramatic than it looks.

I'm searching for more pics and hope to post come in the next couple of days.

I've got a king in the frame right now and want badly to get it done.

I noticed that many here quilt for charity. My personal pet is St Jude's hosp for kids.

ceannastahr 07-08-2007 09:09 AM

I think all 3 quilts are wonderful. I realy like the one for your niece very differnt