Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   one hand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/one-hand-t277996.html)

dena green 04-23-2016 08:17 AM

one hand

Just joined up from Texas. After hand injury and 3 unsuccessful surgeries I only have use of one hand -the right one thankfully. Anyway am seeking advice or tools to use to try to continue with the quilting. My husband of 56 years has offered to help but hasn't mastered threading the machine yet.

QuiltnNan 04-23-2016 09:08 AM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

Tartan 04-23-2016 09:21 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. You can sew with pre-cuts, get a accuquilt machine to cut fabric pieces or have your husband cut your pieces for you. Sorry you have lost the use of your left hand!

quiltingcandy 04-23-2016 09:38 AM

Welcome from Southern California!! Tartan has some good suggestions. If you are near a big city there is a good chance there are some "Occupational" therapists that work with such disabilities. They are more than physical therapists they work with people that have suffered strokes and injuries to return to daily living with work arounds. I would send people to them when I handled Workers' Compensation and people that no longer had the fine motor skills, such as if they couldn't hold a needle in the one hand they would put the needle in a piece of something they could hold (say an eraser) and then thread it with the other hand. Same with cutting things they had special things to put on the steering wheel in the car.

I was amazed at all the little clues. I wish I could remember them all. Do you have a needle threader? I have the Desk Needle Threader from Clover and love it. Bohin makes one too that a lot of people like. It works for the smaller needles. When I bought mine it was at the local quilt show and the shop also sold a base for it which makes it more steady.

Have you tried using the little wire needle threader with the machine? just put it in from behind and then pull it thru? I was doing that for a while when I needed new glasses and I swear the needle was winking at me.

elnan 04-23-2016 09:41 AM

Keep working at it, you'll develop what works for you. Amazon and some of the sewing/quilting catalogs sell a Sewing Bird clamp that will help in some instances. Do an internet search for "sewing with one hand" and you will find some answers plus awareness that there are a lot of people out there searching for ways to overcome loss of a hand due to stroke. Unfortunately, there are more asking than answering, but those who answer are offering some gems. Don't give up, you may pave the way for someone else. I admire your spunk.

ManiacQuilter2 04-23-2016 12:43 PM

Welcome from Southern California. Just keep trying, don't give up. I have motor coordination issues which forced me to give up driving. I thought I couldn't quilt anymore but I found if I take my time and keep with simple patterns, I can still quilt. Keep searching to see what will work for your situation.

QuiltnLady1 04-23-2016 02:01 PM

I have a lot of hand issues, though I still have use of both hands. If you have any grip, you can use anything from a stylus to a large knitting needle to guide fabric -- otherwise you may be able to rig a small harness to hold the guide. Get a machine that has needle up and a thread cutter. I use a needle threader all the time -- some machines have them built in. I have a guide that helps me sew a straight seam but I used to stack sticky notes on the side to get the 1/4" seam. For rotary cutting I use my left forearm to hold the ruler on the fabric and cut with the rotary cutter in my right hand. I have the June Tailor cut 'n shapes and can keep it stable with the palm of my hand or my forearm (when my left hand hurts too much to use the palm). I use a lot of pre-wound bobbins since they save my hands. DS got me one of those rulers with the cutter attached and I find I am able to keep it stable without major issues. It took me a lot of practice to develop the techniques I use, and when I went to classes I have to educate the teachers to accept the way I do things and not continually try to correct my cutting techniques. Just don't give up -- there is always a way.

Misty's Mom 04-23-2016 03:32 PM

Welcome from Spring. Seems everyone has already given great advice.

dena green 04-23-2016 03:39 PM

This is from her husband of 56 years. She is a 16 year breast cancer survivor thanks to MD Anderson-went through high dose chemo, 28 days radiation, 19 days isolation and lots of home nursing from guess who. Thank you all for your kind help. May the Lord bless you and keep you....

quiltsRfun 04-23-2016 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dena green (Post 7531385)
This is from her husband of 56 years. She is a 16 year breast cancer survivor thanks to MD Anderson-went through high dose chemo, 28 days radiation, 19 days isolation and lots of home nursing from guess who. Thank you all for your kind help. May the Lord bless you and keep you....

Bless you both. I'm sure the support of a loving husband has helped dena get through this difficult time.