Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Pfaff Grand Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/pfaff-grand-quilter-t148113.html)

carole-anne 08-26-2011 02:37 PM

Hi I am new to the site and joined it in desperation to find out why my Pfaff Grand Quilter keeps breaking the thread no matter what I do. I have quilted one baby quilt on it (I am using it on the long arm frame, Inspiron I think it is) and it kept breaking the thread but it finally worked when I changed the needles that came with it for a 90/14. Now I have a big quilt on there and ready and excited to go and instead it's two days of fighting with it as the thread breaks every five minutes or so. It sews beautifully and then the thread breaks. Like some of the quilters I have read about, I am ready to throw it out the window. I have not used it without the long arm frame as I bought it specifically to use with the frame so I don't need it to work on a table, I need it to work with the frame. Can anyone help with suggestions. I can't find the book and hope I am threading it right and maybe it needs oiling but I don't know where as I can't find the book. I checked out the internet to find instructions for those but so far the internet is like a bad road map and I haven't been able to find any instruction book that I can just read online. Help!

craftybear 08-26-2011 02:40 PM

Welcome, waving from central Indiana, USA

S D G 08-26-2011 02:43 PM

Welcome from IN. Sorry, But I can't help you.

MellieKQuilter 08-26-2011 02:44 PM

Not a LA user... but that sounds like a tension issue to me...

jljack 08-26-2011 02:46 PM

I have a Baby Lock that does that occasionally. I open it up and usually find tons of lint inside. I also will loosen the tension a little. Check the top of the bobbin carrier for a burr...a little rough spot. Check the tension on your bobbin carrier as well. Sometimes over time it can work tighter or looser.

There are lots of things that can cause it. What weight thread are you using? I have to use better quality thread that will withstand the high speed of the quilting machine. I just had to change thread on a quilt I just finished...the quilting thread I started with wouldn't stay together...it kept breaking. I changed to heavier YLI thread and it worked fine..not one breakage.

greensleeves 08-26-2011 02:52 PM

Welcome, I hope things go better with your machine. I don't have the same machine as you but I think most LA machines need to use a heavier weight thread. I use 40 weight and the needle I use is 18. Your needle eye may be too small for the speed the thread goes and be cutting the thread. I've also found that less tension on the bobbin helps. Try one thing at a time and see what works--if you try them all at once you won't know what actually helped. Good luck with your machine--LA quilting is fun when things go right.

blueangel 08-26-2011 02:54 PM

Welcome from Kansas

Bettia 08-26-2011 03:10 PM

Practice, Practice, Practice.
I tried everything with mine and ended up just sewing a little slower and staying on it. Eventually you will find the right speed that works for you.

Good luck,
Bettia

Jim's Gem 08-26-2011 03:27 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

ann clare 08-26-2011 03:34 PM

Welcome from Ireland. Go to Search at top of this page and type in Pfaff Grand Quilter. There are lots of posts and you may get help there