Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Pre-washing Charm Packs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/pre-washing-charm-packs-t127214.html)

Claire 06-01-2011 09:30 AM

I needed 3 Charm Packs to make my first quilt. I pre-washed one of the packs and it shrank. Do I steam iron the pre-cuts to try to get them back in shape? I hate to buy another pack. They were pretty expensive.
Claire

luv-e 06-01-2011 09:43 AM

Hon, I'm sorry :cry: :cry:
You are going to have to shell out the bucks for a new pack
I just had it happen to some fat qtrs... They shrunk and I needed 1/2 in more....... I've learned my lesson. No more washing material..................

LAB55 06-01-2011 10:23 AM

Hello from Western Mountain Maryland !! :-D

I can't help with with info about charm packs, I have never bought any, sorry. :-(
Some one here will give you info on it.

quiltsRfun 06-01-2011 10:30 AM

As I see it you have two choices: Either buy one more charm pack or wash the remaining two.

I never wash charm packs. Seldom wash any other fabric either.

Sheepshed 06-01-2011 10:33 AM

New fabric shrinks a little bit when washed, some more than others.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-01-2011 10:53 AM

Bummer!!
I would wash the remainder the same way and hopefully they will shrink evenly.
Depending on the pattern you could then use them as you would have normally but what you make will be a bit smaller.
Just my opinion. Sorry this happened to you. I don't wash charm packs first. At least you'll know for the next time :(

Jim's Gem 06-01-2011 11:35 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

I'm not a prewasher. Many that are do not wash the pre-cuts for that reason!

Just Me... 06-01-2011 02:48 PM

I never wash any kind of pre-cut. They fray...you lose a lot of fabric, and it is just a big sloppy mess.

After I get the quilt pieced, quilted and bound, I wash in cold water with a cup of vinegar or (commercial product Retayne). Lay it out to dry.

Bummer....

always sewing in ohio 06-01-2011 03:03 PM

Sorry, I've never worked with charm packs. I do always pre-wash fabric and yes it can get to be a tangled mess. Guess I can't stand the thought of all my work possibly getting stained even with using white vinegar, color catchers, etc.

ckcowl 06-01-2011 03:32 PM

i never pre-wash pre-cuts...they are not cut with the intension of being pre-washed- the manufacturers will tell you they do not expect them to be pre-washed- todays fabrics (supposedly) will not bleed (unless of course it's a hand-dye or batik)
and it is not recommended to pre-wash them...
some people always do- and then you get to deal with smaller pieces than you wanted to use. you can (make do) or you can try over- or you can wash the rest of them so they are all smaller- chances are they will not be consistant...

if you are going to pre-wash pre=cuts it helps to use a mesh bag- but that only helps keep the fraying down and keeps them from tangling- does nothing for the shrinkage.