Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Purchasing a new sewing machine question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/purchasing-new-sewing-machine-question-t131655.html)

Dolphyngyrl 06-19-2011 04:01 PM

I have the Babylock Espire, which is the Brother QC-1000( Older model of the Laura Ashley NX-2000). I can say I absolutely love my machine, do not have anything bad to say about it. Love the AHA tension system, you don't have to fidget with tension all the time, love the pivoting system for appliques as well as corners. love the way it does FMQ, still practicing but stitch quality is excellent even though my lengths aren't there yet, love how easy it is to adjust foot height and foot pressure, lots of decorative stitching which come out beautiful, lots of accessories, super easy threading system, bobbin winding system separate from sewing, very user friendly. The NX-2000 does come with more accessories like the circular attachment and bobbin work kit, and stitches than my model. Not sure how the horizon matches up with the accessories and price. The horizon does look great I think you will be happy no matter the purchase because both are excellent machines with great ratings. I do believe you should test drive both. i chose mine because I have had good results with brothers and their machines and really probably will not buy another brand because of it. It really depends on the features you want because they have some different features and you have to decide what is best for you. Horizon has a built in walking foot, laura ashley does not, that being said i do not find it a hassle to attach the walking foot as some do. With the AHA i find my fabric feeds beautifully, do not get the thread nests and any problems I have had have been from user error not the machine. I have had the lower end brothers with no problem, and this machine is very fancy to me, don't like to sew without it. Hope this helps :wink:

Jim's Gem 06-19-2011 05:39 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

amma 06-19-2011 06:50 PM

Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D

sik1010 06-20-2011 03:06 AM

Hello, and welcome from Michigan!

quiltbuddy 06-20-2011 04:11 AM

I just had the same problem of which one to buy. I'm really a Bernina girl and considered the 800 series. Local store was offering a no interest 4 year repayment schedule. I then read many complaints on the internet about them so decided not to get one. I went to test drive the Laura Ashley and thought it was nice but didn't buy. I think the price was $1200. I thought I'd give Berninas another look. I previously had sewn on the Janome Horizon but was still undecided because of big price difference between the Brother LA and Janome Horizon. On a fluke stop on way to grocery store I thought I'd stop at another Janome dealer just to see prices and he offered the Janome for $1900! Well, I bought and have only had it for the weekend and I am very impressed. I say if you can get the Janome for a good price it's well worth it,

nunnyJo 06-20-2011 04:12 AM

I have the 6600 but plan to trade up to Horizon. A friend has it and I like the larger throat for quilting.

Abby'smom 06-20-2011 04:18 AM

welcome from se TX

girlsfour 06-20-2011 05:04 AM

Get the Janome! You won't regret it.

nstitches4u 06-20-2011 06:28 AM

I have a Janome 6600P that I purchased about a year before the 7700 came out. I love my 6600 but I would go for the 7700 if I were buying a new one. I'd love to get the 7700, but can't justify replacing the 6600 so soon. It is a great machine. Never a problem.

kingspb 06-20-2011 06:53 AM

I would vote for the Janome 7700! I bought it last summer to use for FMQ since it has the 11 inches of workspace. I will problably never use all the 250 stitiches but LOVE it for FMQ!!!