Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   South Dakota Newbie here! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/south-dakota-newbie-here-t195830.html)

KitKarson 07-26-2012 11:27 AM

South Dakota Newbie here!

Hello all!

I am a 28 year old single guy from South Dakota. Grandma and her sister have made the whole family a few quilts that I truly cherish. I have dabbled in sewing in-so-much that I have put a button back on or put a patch on (and a pretty ugly patch at that!)... Anyway, I got it in my head that I want to hand sew a quilt so I joined up here to start my journey!

I know grandma could probably teach me to do this, but she lives an hour drive away and I would kind of like to surprise her! ha!

Enough of my ramblings! I am still trying to figure out what equipment I need and kinda where to start this journey.... So if'n ya'll have any suggestions, tips or resources for a novice quilter I would sure appreciate them!

Thanks!
k

starshine 07-26-2012 07:54 PM

Welcome k waving from Ohio, dh and I were in SD for about a year a loooong time ago. My suggestion is if there is a quilt shop anywhere near you, it might be worthwhile to at least take an introduction to quilting class. You know the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" having someone show you the basics might be worth the effort. That being said this board is a wealth of knowledge, help and friendship, and even though women are in the majority there are men on here who quilt too. Good luck with your projects and I hope you will post pictures of them! And when you surprise your grandma, I hope you will introduce her to the board too.:thumbup:

yellowwroses 07-26-2012 08:26 PM

welcome grew up in south dakota

SueDor 07-27-2012 02:28 AM

Hi from Ohio! Check some books also!

pjaco 07-27-2012 02:59 AM

Welcome from OK !

Lori B. 07-27-2012 04:26 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

Elainequilts 07-27-2012 04:32 AM

Chech in with local churches abd you'll probably find lots of help in their quilting circles. Also ask where you can buy fabric. Welcome and enjoy.

Pam Riggs 07-27-2012 04:50 AM

Hello and welcome from Kentucky! If you are going to make one my hand try Grandmothers Flower Garden. It is beautiful and fairly easy.

Thumbelina 07-27-2012 04:56 AM

Hello k and welcome from NE Ohio. I'm sure grandma will be one proud lady. Good luck and glad you joined us on the board.

KitKarson 07-27-2012 05:47 AM

Well, thanks for the warm welcome!

The cloest quilting shop is at least 50 miles away... Not sure if they do classes, but if they have a weekend thing I might be able to make that work. I am more of a hands on guy so just getting my hands on it and experimenting is my plan! ha!

I see there are many books, but not completely sure which ones are considered the best for someone that knows virtually nothing and has no interest in a sewing machine! Any suggestions?

The town I live in has a population of about 600. I am not even sure any of the church's have a quilting club, but I will have to ask around to see what I can find. Thanks for the idea/advice!

I have yet to get to the 'big city' to get equipment so everything is kind of on hold for the moment...