Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Texas born and raised (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/texas-born-raised-t315219.html)

wishfulthinking 04-30-2021 04:00 AM

Welcome from North Carolina!

Liz1731 04-30-2021 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by kamyers (Post 8480085)
Hello from Texas, everyone! I have done a little sewing in my life, and have recently discovered the excitement of quilting-after quitting my job of 10 years, managing a surgeon's office! I have found great joy & peace in the process (selection of fabrics, and cutting shapes). I have fallen in love with the free-motion quilting method, although I don't yet have a "quilting" sewing machine. Or the skills to handle one. Hah I've run into a few challenges, but I'm not giving up on it, as it is overall a wonderful experience for me! It has been such a huge release of tension for me to embrace my creativity, and do it freely. I'm so happy to be a part of this community of people with a positive outlook and a great deal of experience that I can draw from!

I actually learned how to quilt by watching ladies on YouTube. Quilting is relaxing, isn’t it?

Thumbelina 04-30-2021 05:13 PM

Welcome from NE Ohio.

SallyS 05-01-2021 06:45 AM

Welcome from Southern California. Learning is one of the best parts of quilting, and it has never ended for me.

kamyers 05-01-2021 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Liz1731 (Post 8480319)
I actually learned how to quilt by watching ladies on YouTube. Quilting is relaxing, isn’t it?

Liz, It absolutely is! I had forgotten how much creativity I had percolating in my brain. I am also learning YouTube via videos, etc. I recently joined Craftsy because they had a flash sale on membership and have am thrilled to find an ample supply of guidance there, as well! Lots of fun projects in my future!

Lady Diana 05-01-2021 11:18 AM

Welcome from DFW TEXAS area! You will learn so much here, I know I have. What part of Texas do you live?

kamyers 05-01-2021 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana (Post 8480521)
Welcome from DFW TEXAS area! You will learn so much here, I know I have. What part of Texas do you live?

Hi! I also live in the DFW area! I've been here since December 1999. Originally from the panhandle area.

Liz1731 05-01-2021 11:58 AM

Dfw

Originally Posted by kamyers (Post 8480539)
Hi! I also live in the DFW area! I've been here since December 1999. Originally from the panhandle area.

Moved to Fort Worth, from Houston 30+ years ago then settled in Azle. My husband passed away 2.5 years ago and it's taken me this long to have an interest in quilting/sewing again. We were married for 50 glorious years. Anyway, looking forward to spending a little time researching the site. It isn't like other forums - this one seems a bit confusing and I have a good knowledge of the computer. It seems too "busy", what am I missing? Liz McMillan

kamyers 05-01-2021 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Liz1731 (Post 8480548)
Moved to Fort Worth, from Houston 30+ years ago then settled in Azle. My husband passed away 2.5 years ago and it's taken me this long to have an interest in quilting/sewing again. We were married for 50 glorious years. Anyway, looking forward to spending a little time researching the site. It isn't like other forums - this one seems a bit confusing and I have a good knowledge of the computer. It seems too "busy", what am I missing? Liz McMillan

Yes, it does seem a bit overwhelming. Lots of forums and the site is not in a familiar user format, so I am still finding my way. It took me quite a while this morning to figure out how to upload the photo of my first-ever quilted project! (I finally overcame the challenge, but my picture uploaded sideways.) YoU have a beautiful love story. I was divorced after 7 years of marriage, but am about to re-marry (after 18 years of just being "Mom".) I do understand putting your creativity on hold to miss a loved one. But time has a way of passing by whether we are happy or sad, so I am glad to hear that you have found your desire to quilt again. At least for me, quilting makes me happy! https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/smile.png

bearisgray 05-01-2021 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Liz1731 (Post 8480319)

Most of the time it is enjoyable and relaxing - but almost all of us have had episodes of things just not going together quite the way we wanted them to.