Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Thawing out enough to say "Hey there" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/thawing-out-enough-say-%22hey-there%22-t33811.html)

dglvr 01-11-2010 01:37 PM

Hi from Washington. What kind of dogs do you train for service dogs? I would love to learn how to do that. I had a lady buy
4 dobie pups from me for training. She lived way up in Canada.
Keep warm :lol:

Pat and pups 01-11-2010 01:46 PM

There are service dog and guide dog programs all over the country. The program will help you learn what you need to know to train the dogs. Most programs use golden retrievers and labrador retrievers. I have one of each that are retired mothers of service dogs. I'm working with 13 month old Rocco, a tall, lanky yellow lab, and 4 month old Marnie, a chocolate lab. They're so much fun. One of the best things is taking the pup out to socialize. Rocco and I went to the library, the pharmacy, and the grocery store this afternoon. Someday, he'll catch on to the fact that he is not supposed to sniff the dog food (or anything else) because I am the one with the money so I get to decide what we take home. lol

dglvr 01-11-2010 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I will have to investigate. :-D
Have fun.

cabbagepatchkid 01-11-2010 02:03 PM

Hi Pat and welcome :D I'm cold, too, but it's normal for me. My nephew just came back from Florida with his wife and 2 kids. They didn't even bother to go to Disneyworld because it was too cold :-(

I have 4 goldens and 1 lab. I love both breeds. You are lucky to be able to work with them.

Jim's Gem 01-11-2010 02:43 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

Marjpf 01-11-2010 03:37 PM

Pat - I truly admire you. I don't think I could ever give a dog up once I spent that much time with them. It is a labor of love for a very good cause.

aliaslaceygreen 01-11-2010 03:49 PM

Welcome from Virginia, Pat!

earthwalker 01-11-2010 03:54 PM

Hello from Perth, Western Australia...those pups must keep you very busy. What a rewarding job it must be.

Pat and pups 01-11-2010 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
Pat - I truly admire you. I don't think I could ever give a dog up once I spent that much time with them. It is a labor of love for a very good cause.

The first dog I raised was for a big, nationwide program, and my dog went to a young woman in California. I went to his graduation and cried the whole way home. My next dog went to Long Island for his advanced training. On the way back to the motel after turning him in, I decided I couldn't do this anymore--giving up the dogs was just too hard on me. When I got back home, I had a letter from the woman who had my first dog. She told me all the places she was able to go now that she had the dog to help her; he made such a difference in her life. I decided the sadness I felt giving up the dog was nothing compared to the life I was giving someone with a disability. I've been raising these pups for almost 20 years, and I still cry when I turn them in, but that's okay.

Shemjo 01-11-2010 06:36 PM

I am choked up just reading about this! I admire you for your sacrifice of gving the dogs over where they are needed. Wow, I am not there! Anyway, wanted to welcome you to the forum from Missouri. We warmed up to 27 today, and it felt like a heat wave! We have been experienceing zero and single digits. Brrrrr.