Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quilter who like to shop in NC?

Hi,
    I recently moved to North Carolina (north of the Raleigh/Durham area) and I have yet to find a friend who wants to fabric shop with me. I love to leave on Saturday morning and drive to a quilt shop an hour or "sew" away, have some lunch out, maybe stop again at another shop on the way home. I also find my car stops at Michael's and JoAnn's with little asssistance. I went to couple of guild meetings, but I just didn't connect and didn't want to seem pushy.
    The shops in Raleigh and Wake Forest are great. I've also been to Selma once during the shop hop last year, and would love to go back but it's a long drive by myself. I also heard about Mary Jo's, but it's nearly a 3 hour drive for me, maybe a weekend trip with the hubby sometime on that one.
    I'm trying to turn some of my new friends into quilters but none have caught my bug yet! If any of you are in my general area and you're going to be at any of the local shops I'd love to meet you there sometime.
    Hope this doesn't sound like one of those personal ads!

Hello and welcome from Ontario. Unfortunately I am nowhere near you, hope you find someone close by to make road trips to your favourite shops.

Pam
    LOL, happy shopping and good luck finding a quilting buddy. I have one and wonldn't trade her for the world. We sew together, have cookouts tegether, and now the hubbys hunt and are talking about going fishing together.

Sorry about the guild thing, but try again. Before the meeting tell the president that you are looking for a "sponsor". Sometimes it is easy to forget that it is not easy to be a newcomer to a group that is already formed.

Hey, lady! I live SOUTH of Raleigh, and there's nothing here! Closest to me is Cary JoAnn's, and that's 45min away! You'll have to give me the scoop on what's hot!

Welcome!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Darn, you sound like my kind of friend!! :D Would love to join you but I'm a few states away :(

Oh do I wish we were closer! I haven't been on a shop hop but I do have a friend who quilts (much more than me) and we do our own shop hop thing. A whole day of hitting 2 or 3 shops out of our area, then lunch and back home, happy as bugs in a rug and loaded with goodies. Sometimes we head to Indiana, then sometimes we go east. And we're looking forward to going south to Columbus, Ohio.

Yep, you need a quilt-shopping buddy. It's a great time!

Well, maybe SOME day. One of my daughters might be moving to the Raleigh area (she's in CA now). We used to live in Charlotte and love NC. All the cards are mixed up at the moment, but if we get them straightened out and decide to move also, that would be the area of choice for us. So....sometime perhaps. I'll let you know if it happens and we can play!

Hello and welcome from a native NC Tarheel. I now live in So Cal. I wish I was there, I would sure go with you. My niece lives in Raleigh, but she is a singer, not a sewer. LOL.

I have the same problem here. We have moved so much, I have to make new friends, it is hard. I have a couple that will go to quilt shops. But can't find any to travel with me to quilt retreats. My friends can't leave their DH even for a few days. I miss just girl time to hang out at a quilt retreat.

Welcome to the board from Pipe Creek Texas!!!

Rebecca, there is a nice quilt shop in Apex at hwy 64 and Salem. It's called Plain and Simple Quilt Shop. They have some nice fabrics. Also I'm not sure exactly where you are but Loving Stiches is on Ramsey St on the north side of Fayetteville so it shouldn't be too far from you.

Banned
    Hello & Welcome from Washington State..

Banned
    have you tried Randy's Quilt Shop in Greensboro. If you are a serious shopper then a trip to Mary Jo's is worth the trip.

Keep trying the guild in and around Raleigh. there are very active gulds down there. The state has a quilt show each year and it moves around the state. Try searching for their web site and see where the next show will be.

This is even funnier because I just moved here, from Columbus Ohio!!! They have some beautiful shops. Make sure you get to Quilt Beginnings, there are two and they are very different so get to both!!

I went to Plain and Simple last month and loved it. It's nearly an hour from me but I'll do it again when I'm down that way. I didn't know about the sponser at the guild so I might have to try that. It will happen, and I've made other friends, it's just hard to find a good quilting buddy.

Blog Entries
    Welcome! I'd like to go shopping with you LOL. My quilting buddy is my 11 y/o daughter. I'm in Durham. Have you gone to Wish Upon A Quilt and Sew Unique in Raleigh. PM me and let's plan!

Hmmmmm.... I could invite you to Charlotte for quilt fabric shopping or you could invite me to Raleigh... Just kidding, mostly... traveling is not in my budget right now, but it could be when I get back to work. I agree that it's worth a trip to Mary Jo's. The fabrics are less expensive there too. For example, the batiks are about 6.99/yd. If you drive to Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC, there is a Bernina store nearby that has an extensive selection of top quality fabrics and not the same ones as Mary Jo's. http://www.sewmuchfun4you.com/aboutus.php They are very helpful too. There's also a Hobby Lobby not far from Mary Jo's. I'm only about a 40 min. drive from Mary Jo's and I used to live within walking distance. Also, there's a Ben Franklin in Kannapolis (on the way to Mary Jo's!) with a great selection of quilt fabrics. They have a big table of 3.99 flat folds that are mostly older fabrics taken off. I've found some nice Avlyn and Moda fabrics on that table. The Joann's in the same shopping center is one of the largest and nicest in the area. http://maryjos.com/ - nice virtual tour.

Hurray! I sure would. I live in Creedmoor and have been to both of them I'll see if I can pm you.

Thanks so much for all the info. I think I'll have to do a trip to Charlotte since there are that many places around. I went to the show last year when it was here and it was very interesting. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Hey, lady! I live SOUTH of Raleigh, and there's nothing here! Closest to me is Cary JoAnn's, and that's 45min away! You'll have to give me the scoop on what's hot!
    If you want to come up this way I can give you a tour. There are 4 really nice shops pretty close by. We could see them all in one day very easily.

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

Blog Entries
    Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D

My best friend lives in Franklin North Carolina and she works at a really lovely quilting shop there called "A Stitch in time".The owner is so darn nice!! I bought my first featherweight sewing machine from her.If you ever get a chance to go that way,it is well worth the trip.

Banned
    Also in Greensboro is Ye Olde Forest Quilters which I really enjoyed. I think it's fairly new. Better than Randy's (ducking for cover now from all those Randy die-hards)

Hey there! I live and work in Raleigh and would love to hook up with some of us in and around Raleigh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast